first year plot flooded and up keep

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by CToutdoorsman, Jun 19, 2017.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Because of where I hunt here in CT we are allowed food plots and so I put in the sweat and blood to clear by hand a little more than 1/8th acre food plot. I put clover and alfalfa in it and it was growing well. this past week we had three inches of rain in 4 hours I checked my plot today and it is covered in pine needles and you could see where the water had run through the plot. So is it in my best interest to clear off the pine needles or is this plot done for?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say if the clover and alfalfa are not discolored it will probably rebound.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As long as the plot wasn't underwater for more than a couple days, or that water didn't run over it like a river you are probably fine. I see areas of farm fields that end up underwater at some point almost every year, if they were not getting production from them, they wouldn't pay to seed it.

I would probably try to get the pine needles off though.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd also get rid of the needles as best you can. Not sure what is in pine needles but I literally can't get any grass to grow w/in 8-10' around the spruce trees in my back yard. It's not the shade as the other trees don't have any problem.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the needles are very thick they will act as mulch and block any light that can get to the surface below. Let it dry out and see what you have. You might be able to go over it with a mower or a blower to get them off of there.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pics?