First time in a loooong time.....going to a rifle range tonight.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, weekend before last.....I accompanied Lisa to her NYS Hunters Safety course. Of course, she passed the exam with flying colors. :cool:

She really wants to give this thing a shot. I'll do anything I can to foster her interest, and will focus on making sure she has the opportunity to take a deer this year. I have already pulled one of the ground blinds that sit on one of my most productive food plots, we are going to let that spot rest through bow season so that it is fresh for her during rifle season.

Obviously bowhunting is out for her this year, however if he decides she likes it this year with a gun, we will have a bow in her hands all summer next year to prep for next fall. For now, she will give it a shot with a rifle, and I will accompany her until she decides she has had enough, or until she is tagged out. We will hunt both NY and PA this fall together during the rifle seasons.

Last weekend I picked up the gun that I have had on hold for her for almost a month, a brand new Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 7mm-08. It's got a brand new Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33. The gun is very compact, I had her shoulder it and it fits her frame well.

Tonight we head to the range together for a little paper punching fun to sight in this new rig of hers and to teach her how to shoot. Hopefully she enjoys. I'll take some pics to share tomorrow.

Anyone else been successful in getting their spouse started in hunting? Any advice along the way?

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Matt, I bet you are excited. That's really cool. My Kate has talked of getting a bow just for shooting target/3D. I hope it works out for you. Good luck to her.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a blast Matt! The 7mm-08 is a perfect caliber for her to use. Light enough load with lots of knockdown power. My brother has taken quite a few Canadian bucks with his.

As for advice. I introduced Jill to hunting 8 years ago. The best advice I can give you is to realize that they can't always do some of the things we can. Don't push her too hard. I let Jill hunt at her pace and didn't place high expectations on her....just planned on having fun together. Now, she's hooked!

Good luck to you and especially to her this fall! Enjoy it!

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan:

Monday night Lisa and I watched Jill take her first buck on All Racked Up. It was quite an inspiration to Lisa.

Make sure you let Jill know that specific hunt on the video got the fire burning just a bit hotter for Lisa in terms of her interest level. :beer:

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Matt! I'll be sure to tell Jill.....hopefully we can meet someday and the girls can swap hunting stories!