First Time Food Plot ( Picture Heavy )

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Skywalker, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't realky think the deer have turned onto this plot yet. They have been on bean and nos I think they have shifted more towards acorns. I still feel I can hunt this plot because it is right in the heart of a travel route. Once the season change and crops are pulled, I'm hoping this will turn on big time. Only time will tell.

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Skywalker, the plot looks great! I bet once the deer are off the acorns and you get a hard frost it's going to get crushed! I wish my first attempt at food plots went as well as yours. Look forward to the kill photos!

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I took a few more pictures on my way in from my morning hunt yesterday. Thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little rub is just off the edge of the plot.
    [​IMG]

4. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job you have done with the plot. One day I will get back down to my parents and rework the plots... I think this post has reinspired me to do so, thanks.

Good luck.

5. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Baseball size? Hard to tell. Grown up tall, bet watching those bucks really got you excited. Just wait till they start pulling the turnips. Id be checking the sign for any being eaten everytime Im there from now on.

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking plot.

I planted around 2 acres of corn this past may and it is already annihilated.

Good luck killing that shooter in there!

7. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    These food plots look great! I love hunting food plots, but I still have a lot to learn about them. Thanks for sharing the photos I can tell you spent a lot of time working on them and hopefully the hardwork will pay off during the season. No better feeling than prospering from the fruits of your labor. Goodluck this season!

8. Foxbaybuckman

Foxbaybuckman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Plot looks good great and has me excited about mine next year. Are you hunting that ladder stand or do you have another set up?

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted it a couple times, passing up a doe early in the season. I also have a hang on stand that is set back a little ways that I hunt more often. I passed up a couple shots early in the season right off this plot, but as of late, they have really been hitting it at night so I haven't had quite the luck I was hoping. The weather here has been so weird. It's almost 60 degrees today. We've only had 2 very light snows this year, not even an inch on either one. Such a strange year for weather here.

10. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    do you have any updates on your plot now since the season is over? I'm just wondering if there are any of them left (deer eating them).

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    They still haven't hammered the turnips yet. We have not had a single snow that amounted to anything. I can't say for certain that is the reason they aren't really hitting it hard, but I'd assume that has a lot to do with it. There is just so much browse available to them, that they aren't really focusing on single food sources. I plan on expanding my plot to about 3.5 acres, including more turnips, and adding about 3 acres of soybeans and clover. I plan on leaving the beans standing all winter next year.

12. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    wow... gold mine in waiting there... nice work.. i tried a "kill plot " this year in the woods.. then canopy killed it here... hate leaves... but had good response out of it.. costed me around 60 bucks, but learned from it... im now working on planning another plot that a stumbled upon, looks like its a good area. gonna do a soil test and start on a spring crop, just havent made my mind up on what to plant. in the mean time im gonna build a hunting house thats 20 ft in the air thats over looking the 2.5 acre plot and over looks the ridges beside it so it should be interesting. in doing so i hope to increase population and antler growth. about to create a salt lick with record racks. has anyone ever used that?

13. Butzler

Butzler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The first year I had turnips they didn't hit them super hard either, I think it takes a year or two for them to figure out what they are. Put when they know they are there they really hammer them.