Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

First time elk hunt...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by joshua pierce, Mar 10, 2018.

1. joshua pierce

joshua pierce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going to Colorado to hunt elk for the first time this year. I’ll be doing guided hunt that my family got me for Christmas. I need to know what to bring as far as gear goes. What kind of broadheads, what kind of cammo, how cold or warm will it be in September. How far should I be practicing to shoot from. And all the other things I need to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is your setup now? What part of Colorado are you headed to? Is this a “ one and done” trip? Probably not, elk hunting is highly addictive. What’s your guide providing? A little more information will improve the answer you get.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what the guide will provide (i.e. tent/tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, food, water filter, stove, etc). What sort of accommodations? Ranch or camping/backcountry hunting?
    Minimally, your weapon/quiver/arrows/etc, clothing, a pack, water bladder, some creature comforts/snacks of your liking, wind checker, binos, knife, cooler and probably some other basic gear again this may vary. You can find gear lists on line which you can double check against. Comfortable boots & sleep system are usually important-the latter may not be depending on what the guide provides.

Broadheads/arrows- a solid setup is important and I go with a heavier arrow than deer. This year I'm thinking I'll be close to 500 gr. I like fixed CoC Broadheads but usually have a mechanical, in case I have to take a long follow up shot and usually 1 arrow with small game head or a blunt in case of grouse.

Camo what ever works for you.

Temps/weather expect somewhere between 20 and 80. I plan for sun, rain and snow. Ymmv depending on where you go.

Get comfortable practicing shooting longer than you normally do also practice uphill and downhill shots. A 50yd shot is not uncommon, but you need to know your own limits. If you practice at longer and longer distances the closer shots become easier.