First sit

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ScentLokSoldierUSA, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ScentLokSoldierUSA

ScentLokSoldierUSA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took my son out today for our first sit of the year
    Got to the woods at 4 and left at 6 haha. He is excited to go just can't wait till prime time. I don't make a big deal out of it just glad he wants to go. Any tips from other dad's?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just keep taking him with you. Only stay while it's fun and he's enjoying it.
    You're raising a lifelong hunting partner.
    Mine is 30 now.

3. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, it's always good to take the kids.

2015 Matthews Z2
    Addicted to hunting
    USMC Semper Fi

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take a video game and let him play it until prime time.

5. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I take both my kids (separately) & they love it. The video game idea is good for younger kids & ive also found giving them there own set of binoculars can be a lifesaver as well. I love when we have an "up close & personal" experience with a deer. They get more excited than dad! They can also be a big help following a blood trail. I have several buddies that insist I bring my 11 year old daughter with when I help them track a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JohnnyComeLately

JohnnyComeLately Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a new dad and I have a few years before my little guy will be able to sit with me. How old is old enough to go sit in a blind with dad?

7. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started taking my son at 2.. killed a deer with him in the buddy stand with me last year at 3. He is chomping at the bit almost as much as me for Oct. 1st and I plan to take a deer with him again this year (if the deer cooperate). That being said all kids are different.. I think mine took a shine to it at a young age. I would play it by ear and try a short sit here and there and see where your kid is with it. Thats my plan for my other son when he gets old enough. He is almost 5 months old, so its gonna be a bit with him yet. lol

My boy at 3
    12112278_1120514351292372_3695921449086878712_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hit the stand late when Im hunting with my son.. around an hour to 1 1/2 hours before dark. If we jump anything on the way in so be it. Its only worth taking him if he is having fun, so I dont push the sits too long.

9. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on taking my 7 year old grand daughter this year. She can't wait. I just hope I can keep her quiet enough for archery.

10. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My best hunts are with my daughter, she is 10 now. She started sitting with me at 6 and shot her first deer at 8. Just yesterday afternoon she got her first crossbow kill. She is very excited about hunting, loves the outdoors. The time together with a kid in the stand is the best. You have to be patient because they will move around a lot and make noise. I always bring snacks, water, and let her play games on the phone to help pass the time. The kids are our future of hunting so make it enjoyable and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my girls come w/ me quite a bit during gun season. Not so much during bow. My 12 year old has already shot a couple of deer... muzzleloader and xbow... my younger who is 10 actually sits better than my 12.. haha
    just keep bringing them.

12. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 5 year old son has been begging me to take him bowhunting and even goes as far as to putting his camo on when he knows I'm going out! The thought of having him in a treestand 15' off the ground scares me, but I might set up a ground blind this weekend and take him out. I like the idea of bringing games and snacks to keep em busy, anything to help them enjoy the experience. Thanks for the tips!

13. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I take the kids during shotgun season.... My son can't sit still or be quiet for more than 5 minutes he is only 7 thought my daughter loves to be out but she gets cold pretty quick. She just took her hunters safety course in April. Might have to sacrifice a couple of early archery days so she can hunt turkey. My sons favorite part of out hunt is seeing the flames come out the barrel.