Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

First shed...Shouldn't I be happy?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Finch, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went shedding again yesterday and found my first shed of the year. I was walking through a field that has been plowed for a while. Anyway, I saw the very tip of this guy sticking up through the dirt. I would have taken an "as it lay" pic but forgot to in all of the excitement. Actually, I did an reenactment photo but I don't feel like getting the other camera out.

After 25 miles, this is my first shed of the year. I had told myself earlier that day that it would be my last of the season if I came out empty-handed. Is this some kind of joke? I'm about ready to give up on shedding for the year. The ticks are starting to get bad. I got about 10 off me yesterday morning.

[​IMG]

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep your head up bro... The day you lay your eyes on a gagger shed, is the day you will be forever hooked :d

3. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    See I never believed this:confused: ..

Until last sunday:beer:

Keep after it!

4. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are right but I'm already hooked. Just feel like I should be rewarded with something more. I'm wondering if I've been looking in the wrong places or just been unlucky. I want so much to lay my hands on the sheds of the buck I came so close to getting several times this past season. That is the only thing that keeps me going.

5. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're speakin' my language, Finch.

I think it is best to go in with confidence though, if I go in thinking I won't find anything...I go to fast, don't concentrate on what I'm there to do, and my attention span goes to hell.

As for looking in the wrong places, I've questioned that before too, but is there really a wrong place to look for a shed??

6. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just tag along with me one day. :d I see your point though and agree. They literally can be anywhere.

7. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that holds true but never seems to get mentioned, and I am not trying to stir up any problems, but if all the bucks in your areas that you look get shot, then it will be tough finding sheds...

That being said, congratulations

You made a tough find, which goes to show that you 'are' looking for the right things.

Spotting the smaller ones (yearlings mostly or partials) are the hardest ones to find, so hang your hat on that and keep going.

Keep at it and they will come, when I started doing this 15 years or so ago, me and my buddies went 2-3 winters before we even found one, and the kicker was we didn't even find it, one of my buddies girlfriends was along and found one about 10 minutes into that session. She couldn't understand what was so hard about it :bash: :bash:

If you want to get a feel for what you should be looking for take your shed that you found with you next time and toss it in front of you. If you feel confidant you can find it throw it over your shoulder sometime, then look for it, but be prepared to look for awhile to find it, occasionally it will get away from you. I did that with a shed one time in a cut cornfield, took me 30 minutes to 'find' it again, I hate cornfields.....

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TRUTH!

9. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You gotta look where nobody else goes,that's the secret!
    [​IMG]

10. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or this.
    [​IMG]

11. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That last one might be the buck I gut shot in 2006. Oh well at least it's some kind of closure!