First kills

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Turro, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat as many on this thread. First year hunting, either bow or rifle, so the main goal is to fill my tag. Got an antlered muley tag and a month to fill it.

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going for my first deer kill with the bow this year. Didn't have any luck last season but got one on opening day of gun season, will be primarily bow hunting this season though now that a buddy is letting me hunt on his small piece of land.

3. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still going for my first buck ever with any weapon. This will be my 17th year hunting overall and 6th year archery hunting. I got my first deer which was a doe with a bow last year. Best of luck to everyone on their first this coming season.

4. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    11 years not serious, past two years have been serious, goin for a first bow kill, killing a buck with a bow done it with a rifle a couple times haven't with a bow, an tag out in archery season. (2 does an a buck = 3 total in a season)

5. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If any of you guys that havnt gotten a kill yet or your first buck would like to come to NJ to hunt my properties for your first deer/buck message me any time guys. I LOVE setting guys up for there fIrst deer.

6. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have to see how the season goes an I may just take you up on that!!

7. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your more then welcome brother

8. lemming

lemming Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Only my second year of hunting. I would love to kill my first deer this season. I would also love to not have my treestand stolen.

9. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I got both my first kill with a bow (a yearling doe) and my first buck with a bow (10 pt. 145")

10. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I wasn't so far away in the foreign, exotic land of Alabama I would take you up on that offer! That's a long trip to NJ!

11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i got a doe last season but i really want to try to get my first buck.

12. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to all the newbs and carry the torch proud. My first kill was a yearling doe, bear recurve, 1972, wood arrows, after 20 released arrows. Aluminum arrows did not exist. I bought the first compound, an Allen, in 75'. Dumped 40 with a pse Pacer which I still have, first book buck in 88'. Now, over 100 kills, all Pse, 12 book deer, taught my 2 sons and 2 friends who have 9 book bucks combined. Now it's all about access and shot selection. Enjoy the journey, I would traded 30 years for 100 kills any day.

13. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im going for my first buck (with a bow) Already shot one with the gun.

14. Dampland

Dampland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exciting to see so many folks going for their first bow kills this fall. I can't wait to see the success threads!

Just remember to have fun too, I think the recent trend of MONSTER BUCKS on the tv shows, makes people feel like they HAVE to harvest a 140" or bigger buck or they have failed. But that is just not true. ANY DEER harvested with a bow and arrow is a trophy. As you have more success, then sure you could start holding out for the monster bucks if you want, but don't let your desire for a huge buck on the wall, decrease your enjoyment of hunting.

I personally fell into that trap about 7 years ago, and for about 5 years, I was miserable if I didn't get a big buck, and then even if I shot a 130" buck, I worried that he was "too small". THANK GOODNESS I snapped out of that mentality, and re-learned to enjoy my time in the woods. Sure I still hope for a chance at a nice buck, but I no longer consider my season a failure if I don't get one.