First food plot.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by CCase26, Aug 19, 2014.

1. CCase26

CCase26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After reading many threads on here and the qdma forums about food plots I decided I was going to try and make my own.
    I decided instead of tilling up the ground, I was going to spray roundup a couple times and broadcast some seed and pray for some rain. This is a small plot tucked into some thick woods so I'm hoping the deer will like it and feel comfortable.

For the seed I used 2lb turnips, 2 lb ladino clover and about 25 lbs of WW.
    I also bought a cheap bag of sunflower seeds at TSC and threw them in just to see if they would come up. They actually have came up great. I planted everything but the WW about 2 weeks ago. I then spread the WW a week after.

After 1 spray. Still pretty thick but 2 more sprays nuked it.
    [​IMG]

Sunflowers
    [​IMG]

The plot from my stand
    [​IMG]

The turnips not long after they came up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to go back in at the end of this week and fill in some bare spots with WW. Hopefully this plot works out. Only thing I'm worried about is that the turnips won't get enough sun.
    What do you guys think? Take it somewhat easy on me since this is my first plot lol!

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice little hidey hole there.

3. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice set up you got their

4. CCase26

CCase26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!!

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What was the plant/grass you sprayed?

Just wondering because I am getting ready to use roundup on a future plot spot and it is some really thick grass.

Did you spray more towards the roots or just over everything?

6. CCase26

CCase26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was just a bunch of weeds with some grasses in it. Not really sure what kind of weeds. I just sprayed on the top and it soaked in pretty good. After 3 different sprays there was hardly nothing left. If yours is thick grass it might be better to mow it first and then spray. I couldn't get a mower to this spot or I would've probably done that.

7. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mow or weed wack first if you can it makes it a lot easier to spray and make sure it hits the roots

8. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I sprayed my plot last week - going back to check on it today. Any ideas of how to get all of the dead weeds out? Burning isn't an option and I don't really feel like pulling a 1/5 acre haha I was thinking of maybe using a weed eater and getting it as close to the ground as possible and then just raking the rest out?

9. CCase26

CCase26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just left mine, I did run over the plot a few times with my atv so it made them lay down some. The dead weeds actually made good mulch for my seed I broadcasted. You could use a weed eater.. or pay a kid 10 bucks to pull all your weeds out haha

10. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to rake mine no matter how big they are. Good seed to soil contact is important. You will have a lot less bare spots and get more out of your plots if do. There is less debris for the seedlings to go through. Looks good though! Nothing like going to plot after you seeded to see if anything has grown.

11. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use a mower an chop it all as low as it can go than rake it out but don't worry if there is some left it makes good for a little cover to lock in moisture