:( First case of CWD for 2015 in MI

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by No.6Hunter, May 26, 2015.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately CWD is never just an isolated issue. As one scientist put it, CWD does two things - it spreads and it gets worse.

Hopefully with a push from some of these new organizations like the NDA we'll start seeing some actual progress on the front to help curb CWD. If hunters keep burying our heads in the sand and hoping it goes away on it's own deer hunting is going to look quite different in a decade or two.

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish there was a better and more economical way to have your harvested deer tested for CWD. In WI you either luck out and the DNR is at your registration station collecting samples or you have to get the test done through an outside party such as the local university or a veterinarian. They charge close to $100 to perform the test which is pretty steep.

I hunt in a county bordering what is considered a CWD zone. My wife and I are hesitant to feed venison to our child due to not knowing the long term effects of consuming a contaminated animal.

4. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only 30 minutes away from the area CWD was found in and there is no talk about my county in any of the action plans, little concerned to say the least.

5. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    300 something deer checked in the MI CWD area so far and two have been found with cwd....

6. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    3rd deer found in MI with case of CWD. Good news is all three deer have been found within a mile of each other, the last one was a 5 year old doe.