First Buck With a bow - New to forum

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by moytk22, Nov 2, 2020.

1. moytk22

moytk22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Quick story i want to share since im new to the forum.
    So i picked up one of my dads old hoyt bows (I think a 2000's model Intruder) got it restrung over the summer, and picked up some new arrows and started practicing. Finally got my pins on and felt good shooting so i bought my license for fall bow in NJ, and ordered my self some broad heads. I wasn't sure what broad head to go with so I picked the muzzy fixed three blade. Finally was able to get out on the weekend of the 23rd, and I spooked some does getting into my stand before day light which was disheartening. Im sitting in my stand and a button buck comes running through like something was pushing it. I look behind it and its the four point ive been watching on my property for the last couple of months. So this buck comes directly in my cut open path at 15 yards, I stand up , draw, and give him a little noise to get the perfect broad side. Release my arrow, and I watched it hit him in a good spot. I started going wild (quietly) then sit back down in the stand for about 50 mins.
    As I got out of my stand to go to where i shot him, I saw my arrow on the ground and immediately thought I had somehow missed. I started to track, and theres absolute puddles of blood. I found the buck around 65 yards away , it turns out that my shot landed on the absolute edge of the front shoulder. The arrow went through, blew the lung to pieces and came clean out the front shoulder on the otherside , breaking through the bone. My arrow was broken in half, with the broad head in tact on one side, and the fletching in tact on the other, a clean break. This seems absolutley crazy to me because im only shooting a 50lb draw, and a 100 grain broad head. I had a blast and found this much more satisfying than hunting with a gun( what ive previously done all my life).

airenlow, oldnotdead, GregH and 3 others like this.
  2. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your hooked. Welcome to the club.

moytk22 likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome man congrats.

moytk22 likes this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first kill!!!

moytk22 likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!! I love this because that was my first compound and draw weight...took a bunch of deer with that set up. Your hooked for life, enjoy the journey...

moytk22 likes this.
  6. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations