Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

First Buck, or Any Buck?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Frank / Pa

Frank / Pa Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am with Justin.

2. ruttinbucks.com

ruttinbucks.com Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How about this compromise if it hasn’t been brought up already. It will require much more honesty from people, but here goes.

The 1st buck you shoot, gets entered but not automatically locked in.
    If you choose to lock it in, that’s it. Whether you shoot another one that’s bigger, smaller or not at all.
    If you DON’T lock it in you are held to the 2nd buck regardless of what it scores, and if you don’t take a 2nd buck, you score 0.
    You must decide on locking it in at the time of posting.

OR

For guys who shoot multiple bucks. Why don’t they just average their scores?

4. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I don't think you would pass a buck you would normally shoot because of an internet contest. I highly doubt it and I honestly don't think anyone else would. For me, a shooter is a shooter, is a shooter. Contest or not.

5. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only have one buck tag because i am only hunting in Illinois as a NR, here in Michigan I am just going to be filming my daughter for another video company and maybe shoot some does!! Walt

6. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with GMMAT on this one.. Actually I see one buck states as an advantage b/c more than likely you are holding out for one heck of deer... Like GMMAT said, in multiple buck states we may kill a deer that we would not if only limited to one buck.. Culls, injured deer, etc come to mind.

7. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only have one buck tag. I can buy more, but I always save the chance to take a second buck in the gun seasons.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't care either way, but I do somewhat disagree with the opinion that you're handicapped if you live in a one buck state. Some of you guys act like if that's the case you can only shoot one buck no matter what you do. Nevermind the fact that a lot of guys from one buck states (Rob, Matt, Fran, etc.) all take the opportunity to hunt in other states/areas where they in fact CAN shoot a 2nd buck. Like anything in life, if you want it bad enough you can work to get it. Just saying "Sorry, I live in a one buck state and that's it" isn't exactly a great excuse.

Either way, it's all just for fun so we'll let the votes decide.

9. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    GMATT, Do read all the post or just part?? I said in the post when I am Michigan I will be filming my daughter not me hunting!!! And when or if I do hunt I will only shoot a doe or two!!! So that leaves me with only my 1 buck tag for Illinois!! Walt

10. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I chose "only first buck" because I think thats probably the most fair way to do it. I can take at least 6 bucks with a bow, MD, VA and NC and a I have offers to hunt other states which I am undecided right now. Letting the member choose which bucks he wants to enter would kind of be like tournament BASS fishing and culling my fish out for weigh in. Im okay with either way as it would be fun no matter what, just not as fun for the guys who know they can only catch 1 fish by state law, going into a tournament against guys that can catch and cull several fish.

11. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that majority of the "one buck state" guys are people that are gonna shoot what they are gonna shoot regardless. Will I jump on a 75" 1.5 year old at the end of the season just to get my team's talley up? Heck no. Will I pass on a 115" the first week because I know there is bigger our there? Heck no. I know what I am after and if I get it, it will be in the contest.

Something else that would be interesting to ponder:

How many people in the two buck states killed ACTUALLY a second buck that was bigger than their first? Putting myself in their shoes, If I had two tags and I shot a buck that was a shooter in my book, my next tag would have to be for a true giant. How often does that happen?

I am happy either way, I can only afford to hunt PA, so it benefits me that the first buck counts. I just don't think that enought people kill those "giant" second bucks. And the people that do are more likely one staters that shell out some dollars ton go out of state and get it done. Example: I kill a 90" buck in PA, I am done. Then I head to IL, knowing that if I kill it's only gonna be a 130" or better. If pay the price to get out of state and get it done, why not reward them?

Some major ramblin there...not sure if it makes any sense, I was just thinking and typing.

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess to answer, I only have one buck tag, and will not be traveling. I agree with ya on the "what if's."

My short opinion (if that's possible)
    I won't feel slighted if we go with a "biggest buck gets entered."
    BUT, I won't feel that I am at any kind of advantage if we don't.

13. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The other night at Rob's when he was entering the teams and I was cutting arrows, when I asked about your score from last year, he told me about this. I must have missed this last year. I am glad I was not put in those shoes in PA. Seriously, I respect what you did and to be honest and take it as your contest buck. It's at least one example where a biggest big counts rule would be fair to you in that situation, not that its all that common.

14. RDHunter

RDHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my own opinion .... if the hunter is lucky enough to harvest more than one buck this coming season then he / she should be able to enter the highest scoring buck , but only one .