First Buck Fell

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by tynimiller, Sep 15, 2014.

1. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations John on your first day out... lucky bastard....:-D

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and great way to start the season! He tried to be sneaky but wasn't sneaky enough! Love watching the show so hopefully you're successful in Illinois and Ontario too.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another reason why I love this show the level of honesty is rare in reference to showing the good bad and ugly so to speak.

Its easy to see this is something created by hunters for hunters, not that other stuff you see on cable TV.
    After the really rough season last year that I endured, I start this one inspired thanx to the BHOD staff...

Grats to Herrman on the dropping of a great buck :)

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okay...keep replaying this hunt....is there any chest cavity pictures or organ pictures? I just keep having a seriously hard time imagining that arrow deflecting up into the lung/liver...not trying to start an issue but seriously can't wrap my head around that as an option.

5. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was an awesome hunt I can't even imagine seing that size of a deer in RI.

6. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have them just never seen them lol.:hail:

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have.......:p

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing nothing or everyone is hunting :)

9. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    stud... congrats!

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
  11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Still have no clue how that buck died quickly as claimed...unless that arrow is 40 inches long I can't wrap my head around it reaching up into liver/lung....love to see images if he has them of the cavity.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always trying to cause trouble aren't ya Ty lol, I gotta agree though, especially considering it took a few hours to recover. Kinda imagine that = he went quite a ways. He was slightly quartered away but after watching it several times I still can't find a way to have that angle make sense. Video can be decieving however. Great buck though John and Congrats. I'll be honest, I think you had lady luck on your side on that one. :tu:

13. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can agree as well wit ty but goes to show when u wait it out knowing u didnt get as good a shot as u wanted what can also happen when ur patient but that is definitely a bruiser props to John an lady luck lol

14. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Ty,
    Im not sure if there is any pics. But I know that when I talked to Herman He was surprised when he gutted the deer. The recovery footage sucks because they got in a hurry. He said they tracked the deer a hundred yards into some tall grass and it started pouring down rain witch washed the blood away. So they continued in the direction the deer was heading and started grid searching. After 5 or 6 hours everyone gave up so herman went back to where they lost the blood. He said the buck was laying twenty yards in the opposite direction from where they started the grid search. As far as the shot goes John said it angled up through and got liver and the back of one lung. Thats all I can tell you.

15. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you pause the video right at the moment of impact it definitely looks like he got that far lung.

Soooo.... new episode today?!

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks...good to know and adds some clarity. I wonder if he found a spot it deflected up upon entry. Either way I'm happy he recovered the thing! Would have been a good lesson to viewers in recovery persistence to share all that, good stuff!

17. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you. Should have showed more. I do for a fact that the guys he was with wouldn't help film and then it turned into a huge mess once it started raining.

18. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny broke the ice!

19. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Ty,

Hey didn't know this thread was going but wanted to clarify. Agree completely with you as to where that shot hit him it should have been all stomach, small intestine and liver (if lucky). The problem I had was he didn't act like a deer hit there. He leg kicked at the impact like a heart or lung hit deer and ran full out as far as I could see him just like a lung hit deer. We obviously watched the footage a million times and thought stomach hit deer gotta give him ALOT of time and decided to leave him overnight which gave him 22 hrs. Temps in 30's, No rain in forecast and like a 10% chance for following morning. Well we start following blood next morning at first light and havn't even got past the point where I couldn't see him anymore and skies open up for like 20 minutes. Everything soaked and washed away. Got him to about where I had lost visual of him running from the stand and he was at the edge of a 15 year old clear cut which was grown up thick with popple trees and mixed with tall grass. I'm telling you we looked and looked everywhere. 8 people for hours. But as it turns out we were all assuming that he continued on his current route. What he had done was about the time I couldn't see him from the stand anymore he had reached this edge and stopped. Then he did a 270 degree turn and bedded up about 20 yds away. If someone else would tell me this story and say that a buck was laying 20 yds from last blood and had 8 people looking for hours and didn't find him I wouldn't believe it but somehow no one had walked that way. After everyone had given up I went back and almost immediately found him. Quite elated to say the least cause thought I had lost him. He had been dead since minutes after the shot. So the arrow went in where it did but poked out the skin(broadhead didn't poke out fully, just tip) on opposite side at perfect 3" behind shoulder crease and perfect halfway up body. I had gotten everything, intestines, stomach, liver and opposite lung. If you watch the footage frame by frame, I think what happens is as he's jumping string at shot noise, his near rear leg starts coming up and forward, the arrow hits right at the spot that the leg is moving up and forward and must deflect it into the body cavity. Only thing that could have happened to get arrow to turn that way. Anyway I wanted to explain even though its way afterfact. Yes I got way lucky and am thankful he died quickly. Wish I would have explained this on film as it would have explained it and added to the story but I was wiped out physically and emotionally at time. Thanks Clinton for clarifying some of this in a more timely manner. Sorry for the novel too.