First Bow: Mathews or Hoyt

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Ross Downie, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Ross Downie

Ross Downie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

Looking for some advice from people with experience. I have decided to start Bow hunting and Bow shooting as a hobby. I am a hunter but have never been involved in Bow hunting but some friends and family have twisted my arm into believing there is nothing quite like it. I am sold on getting into this sport! And I want to do it properly.

I am not interested in buying a budget entry level bow to start with, I want to invest in something quality that I can stick with for the next 5-6 years of my life(or even longer). Something forgiving but something I can grow into and really get the most out of once I build my skill.

I live in South Africa and with the selection I have available to me in my area I have narrowed my choice down to 2 bows.

The Hoyt RX4 Alpha (still new quite a good deal) or the Mathews V3x (will be $300 more expensive but also newer year model).
    I've spoken to many Hoyt fans who rave about Hoyt being far more user friendly bow, more comfortable to shoot and learn on. 1 person in particular claims the V3X will require serious skill to enjoy whereas the Hoyt will most likely be a more enjoyable experience considering I'm a beginner. I have a cousin who is still shooting his Hoyt carbon Spyder 30 and says its the best bow he's ever had and will always stick with Hoyt. Then I have a really close friend whose first bow ever was a Mathews Triax and he is in love with it! Both shoot them really well.

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot both and go with the one that works for you… don’t t listen to the fanboys … go with what YOU like

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Chekmate, Mod-it, MUDSHARK and 2 others like this.
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well since Hoyt tried to sleep with my wife, I would go with Mathews!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK likes this.
  4. Ross Downie

Ross Downie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, I am a contract pilot and I'm out of country at the moment so won't be able to test these bows till late December when I'm back. A friend of mine just offered to sell me his Mathews Monster XLR8 McPherson series. Its 2010 Model so I'm a little nervous its unforgiving for a beginner as its a speed bow. Any thoughts on that bow? and can you mound modern accessories on it, like the HHA single pin sights and hamskea rests etc.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great bow. I remember shooting that when it came out. Had a friend with one. Would depend on specs, if it will fit you. Might be hard to parts if you need to change draw length and stuff. Still worth shooting if you can get it for a good price. Used Mathews of that age should be around $300. With out extras.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. Ross Downie

Ross Downie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    offering the whole package for 450 dollars. This looks like a good deal. But I would want to put my own accessories on. Can modern sights, rests etc fit these old Mathews bows or not compatible?

Attached Files:

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I'd go Mission MXR if you want to be sure to always be able to get repairs and such on it and similar technology of the older Mathews you listed and Mission newer model (which Mathews makes Mission).

However I'd buy neither without knowing if you like either.