First attemps at bending 1 inch PVC (tight bends)

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Innovative Outdoorsman, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the future there may be some PVC projects coming up that would involve bending 1 inch Schedule 40. This was the first attempt at making some pretty sharp bends. (used a piece of 3 in Sch 40 as the bending mandrel.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks cool.....

3. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To keep from crushing the tube Im bending, I bent the 180 degree bend by inserting a coil extension spring (it was a perfect fit on the I.D.) and then bending it around another pipe. The spring follows the bend perfectly and keeps it round and with a rope tied to the loop at the end of the coil spring, it allows you to pull the spring out of the PVC pipe after its bent.

I did the 360 degree bend by capping both ends after filling the pipe with washed sandbox sand. I saw a bit of flattening when using sand but I could have avoided that by using a form rather than bending it around a piece of 3" I went tighter and further than I will need to for this upcoming project just to test my capabilities.

For 45 and 90 degree bends, the spring is the better and easier option. for bending a coil the sand is the better option.

If I need to make a bend in a long piece where the bend is far from the end, I would press a foam plug in from when end with a ram rod and then fill with sand and then another foam plug rammed in from the other end. I would make the bend and when cooled, pour acetone into the pipe to dissolve the foam plug and then pour the sand out of the pipe.

4. Time2Panic

Time2Panic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job