Finding your lost buck after time .......

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if I missed it or it was avoided. What if someone finds a couple legs and some scraps from a doe that was yours that you didn't "recover" in a timely manner? Say a month later. Do you take pics with it? Consider it a success? Take the leg and chuck it in the woods in disgust? Does the person that found the scrap pile even bother telling you? Why the different criteria for a buck? Success and jubilation if it's a big rack? Identical situation with a doe and a ho hum attitude is taken? hmmmmmm

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it's supposed to be ,,,,

most of the answers are honest, I believe ...

I also think if Sliver's position is that the feeling of success is the same when you recover a deer that has fallen from sight immediately as when you find the rotted carcass 2 weeks later and your tags are already filled ....well that makes NO sense to me ...and prolly all of his friends that he would show, tho they might not let him know that.

I think Will has generalized hunting, instead of answering the question. Does shooting an animal you don't recover until it's wasted, sans the horns, make you a failure in general ...NO! Did you fail in your goal for that hunt, and maybe that season...YES!!

We head out into the woods for a specific end. There are many means to said end that are part of the whole experience called hunting. There is, however an ultimate goal ... and if everything that has led up to the goal has been done and we shoot a target we have made all those preparations to shoot ... and we don't recover it until it is waisted, we have failed in that task ... but that doesn't make us a failure ... that doesn't mean we didn't learn something ... it doesn't mean we should give up hunting.....but it DOES mean that when (or if) i tell my friends about THIS deer ... I might have a different look on my face and a different feeling going on inside ...... that's me and most of the guys I see who have posted on here

With that being said ....and maybe because it is so hard to think like they have STATED they believe ... I am betting Will and Sliv feel more like us than they are letting on .... and they are just trying to keep the thought process on this situation positive ... :busted:

BTW everyone ...cut with the name calling .... it's kinda embarrassing

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You would be wrong,
    At no time have I ever said that, and I made it clear, its a package deal and no one is joyful, happy or what ever word you want to use at the loss of meat, I like and use the meat and have ate it for 6 weeks stright now. Its a package deal from the early season scouting trips right up to the alone time with the Good Lord, family and friends!

If you hunt for the sole purpose of meat, then I can see where you can consider yourself a failure if you lose one. But don't try cramming me into that group just so it makes you feel better.

As for people like me, The meat is just a part of the package deal, one of the thousand pices that go into the hunt, right down to sharpening my broadheads. I have passed many bucks in the last 4 seasons, some that people would be tickeld to have taken. 2 monsters last year that had broken racks. I passed on a great buck on a Kentucky trip (was not sure of my yardage) I did with my sons 2 years ago, that no one killed a buck on and it was one on the best "HUNTING" trips of my life. I didn't pass them because their meat would not taste good.

To those that have been so ignorant in this thread to chang my words around and compare me to poachers, just because I would be glad to find a rack a few weeks later. Get a life. I think it has much more to do with the little green man.

Lets see,
    Sad at the loss of meat...... YOU BET!
    Happy to find rack after hundreds of hours being involved to kill Big Buck...YOU BET!!!!

For those of you that feel your season is a total loss because you failed to fill a tag or lost a deer. I feel sorry for them.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I saw it coming back on page 2.

Sorry boys, this thread has out lived its usefulness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.