Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Find a home for my recurve.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Txjourneyman, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go TX! Top notch there my friend, top notch!!!!!!! Looking forward to pictures!

2. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    WOW! I simply cannot wait till I see the pictures....

What if we did something unique on this board and every so often we collect a little spare cash, set up a beginner with a compound bow?!?

I dunno, this story just really means a lot to me. I would be willing to help out and get a program like this started with some help from fellow members.

And once again, Tx, I appreciate your generosity my friend. Thumbs WAAAAY up!! :cool:

Anyone else interested in something like this?

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You bet Bols!! I'm game.

4. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll chip in for sure!

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would be very cool... Peaple like this little guy...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2996906

With parental approval of course...

but You would somehow have to keep it on the low down as much as possible, otherwise we would have 30yo guys on here protrayed as broke innocent 10yo's. Unless we only did it for somebody that knew somebody from the boards. Great idea none the less.

6. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    That was one of my concerns about giving this one away. That an adult would want to get it for himself and use deceit to do so. Thats one of the reasons I asked for pics, just so I know who the end user really is. When I was going to sell or MAYBE give the bow away I asked for people to convince me why I should give it to them. Maybe we could do something like that. Have a kid write an essay about why he should be the one to get it. Is that overcomplicating things? I think maybe it is. I don't know what the answer is. I hate to be cynical at the same time I try to share. Kinda ruins the whole idea, but I would be very disheartened to find out a gift didn't go to its intended recipient.

7. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buckmaster and TX,

You guys both raise some good concerns. Basically, we could do the whole over the internet thing without really knowing whether or not the person going to receive the bow is a kid but I have concerns about that method much like you guys do.

Here is why I think we should go a different route with this and I still think if a candidate is on the net and we personally know it is a creditable source, we can change gears.

My idea would be to have someone on this board each time we find enough money to get the beginner set up with a bow place a kids name and a brief story into a drawing. Basically, if you know someone that wants to get into archery, nominate them. The whole reason I want people off this board nominating them is simple, that person will, in theory, keep in contact with the recipient and therefore, help them get started. We all know archery can get frustrating, tuning a bow, proper form, learning how to hunt, etc. If this youth is someone's friends son/daughter or a neighbor kid, we can help them out with problems, upgrading equipment, keeping in touch.

I dunno if that makes sense, but that was sort of my vision. That way we aren't just giving them a bow and saying, "Good Luck"!! We are trying to help them develop knowledge for hunting and passion for the sport of archery. Sometimes, when no one is around to help kids with things, they give up.

Feel free to change my idea and shoot alternatives to me. Once we get things set up a bit, I am going to make a formal announcement on the forums as a separate thread. We will pick out the equipment and such on the main thread. Maybe we could even get some sponsors or donation items to help us build this first bow.

My main concern is this youth gets set up properly, develops good form, and starts their journey of archery down a positive and lasting road.

Send me a PM or E-mail whenever guys.

Thanks
    Dave

8. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the drawing idea. And the idea that a beginner will have a mentor of sorts is great.
    I just got back from the mailroom. This bow is on its way. Tony, the UPS tracking number is 1Z398E500300032457. Let me know when you see it. I have insured it just in case anything happens. Let me know if you have any questions. Do you know how to use the bowstringer?