Finally took the leap!

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by mylsuhat, Aug 23, 2018.

1. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the last 3 years I've been filming my hunts with a Canon Vixia RF600 camcorder. It's a surprisingly great camera for it's size and price but my biggest draw back from it was not having the ability to take stills. iPhone takes good pictures but really has a limited range.

I looked around a lot, asked questions and finally settled on this new setup as my entry into better cameras.

Sony a5100
    Sony - E PZ 16-50mm f3.5-5.6
    Sony - E PZ 18-105mm f/4.0 G OSS Power Zoom Lens
    Sony - 50mm f/1.8 Optical Lens

This should give me a big range of options from using a remote while filming with the 18-105 to taking scenery and "hero shots" with the 50mm.

I know the camera is 'older' and the new a6300 & a6500 are out but I will upgrade that part later on, the advantage to the a5100 is the view finder flips over 180* for interview shots.

Any tips and links to information I may need would be appreciated. What photo editing software are yall running? Headed out to Colorado in 22 days and I plan on putting it to work!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  2. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your purchase. I can't be any help with your gear as I shoot Nikon and have never used a Sony. As far as editing software I use a mix between Lightroom and Luminar; depending on what I'm going for. Best of luck in the woods, have fun and take too many pictures.