Filming Your Hunts/Challenges That Come With It

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by whitetaildna, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is another example of using my phone and a mount. I know it's not bowhunting but it still shows what can be done. Mine is an iPhone7 mounted on the bottom of my shotgun using the mount from Gamestickllc

2. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually not true at all. I film because I mentor veterans and youth on hunting and fishing trips and like for them to be able to share their experiences with friends and family. It's one thing to be able to tell your story, but another too be able to actually show it. Most of the people I mentor have never hunted a day in their life before these hunts; or at least for that species.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't film and probably never will. I just have no interest in lugging all the extra crap needed to film. I also don't have the time to deal with the footage, etc., anyway. I recently cancelled the outdoor channels because I would rather go out and do than watch. I have a buddy that gets more enjoyment out of filming than he does hunting. To each their own. I would gladly let him come film me, but I have no interest in messing with it myself.

Unfortunately, a lot of guys seem to let the filming dictate how they hunt and what they shoot. And sadly, the shots they take. I think filming hunts has caused a terrible amount of bad shots to be taken for all the wrong reasons. For that, I kind of hate to see the huge number of young guys getting into filming their hunts and thinking they are going to become some sort of "celebrity" because of it. In my opinion, filming has been the single most negative impact on hunting for many reasons. I understand that not everyone is doing it for fame and fortune, but many are, and many others don't mind the attention.

4. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try filming with my iPhone and a Tactacam. I suck with the Tactacam. :) I'm working on it, though.

I don't have any land of my own and don't currently have a lease. The public lands say you can't put anything into the trees so that means bow hangers, etc. Likewise, when I'm at an outfitter I have no idea what type of stand/options I'm going to have so I have to keep things minimal.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would argue the opposite, if you know the footage is going to be shared...why take a "bad" shot?

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well...

[​IMG]

7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. Hate that guy. Always gonna be that guy in life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Because lots of guys feel the pressure or want to impress others with killing something on film. I've seen so many crappy shots taken on film, it doesn't seem to bother a lot of film junkies. I've even read multiple times where guys admitted to taking shots they know they shouldn't have because they got caught up in the idea of getting a kill on film. From Stan Potts, to Brackett, to hundreds of wanna-be's, it happens all the time.

If you quickly find dozens of examples of horrible shots on film, how many never see the light of day because of no recovery or because they were just beyond stupid?

9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I think alot of hunters in general are just "sloppy". I dont think the camera "makes" them that way. True, it does have some impact. But i dont think its fair to judge everyone on it.

How many non camera guys do something in the woods that they never tell anyone about?

MissionOutdoors.Net likes this.
  10. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    The camera makes plenty of guys push themselves ethically. It just does. I didn't judge everyone on that.

11. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first attempt at editing.

Last summer I had a camera arm made and set out to do some self-filming. I've learned a lot during the first season. I finally got around to putting together a short video of one evenings hunt of a buck I was after. This all happened in the first 20 minutes of setting up the camera arm so to say I was unprepared is an understatement.

As I go through the editing process, I'm already thinking of new things to film to include in next falls videos as well as talking points and transitions. I've already upgraded my camera swivel head (for smoother video) and hoping to get a new camera by fall.

A few things I noticed:
    1. more footage of other 'stuff' to fill in
    2. talk to the camera (I was always looking around afraid I was going to miss something coming in)
    3. more 'interviews' on camera that I can use later on if needed.
    4. Learn more about my movie editor (PowerDirector) to see what other features I can add to final product

I welcome any feedback, good or bad you all have regarding how to better film or edit.

12. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He might take bad shots but he is a good Christian man.... just a bad shot and poor shot chooser.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums