Filming hunts.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jake/OH, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I been recently wanting to get into filming my hunts, not hardcore (film some of the cool stuff I see) a little something to do while hunting and some footage to show off to people. Any advice on were I can get a decent Camera and also what kinds are good for a non serious filmer like myself simple, economic, etc. Thanks.

2. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Price range?

3. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    interested to see what everyone says too... im in the same boat as u

4. kskcheche

Dislikes Received:
    Something simple would be a Flip or Kodak PLAYSPORT.

5. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My parents got my brother and I a JVC Everio for Christmas a couple of years ago.. First serious year trying to film with it. You can check out some of the footage in my signature. I'm using a Gorilla camera arm (cheap but it gets what I want it to). Also keep in mind that youtube destroyed the quality.. The video files on my computer aren't HD but they're much better looking than what's on youtube.

6. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I may very well be dreaming but I was thinking $150?!? Thats good quality IMO Rory I'll look up that camera, along with the Kodak playsport.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Kodak PlaySport. Here is what my setup looks like.

[​IMG]

At some point in time, I'd also like to add a tree arm and higher quality camera.

8. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GABowhunter.... where did the mount come from? and is it easily removed from the mount to play with during a hunt?

i have been looking at the playsport and that is just about what i was thinking about, i just wanna be able to detach it and film other things during the hunt without having to bring my bow up

9. kskcheche

Dislikes Received:
    How do you like it on the bow? And what mount is that? Looks like the Insane Archery Mount.

I have a gorilla arm and a panasonic SDR-H40P that I use. But the cameras not mine. So Ive been looking at cameras as well. Life situations really play on what price range to look at. For instance I was looking at the Canon HV-40 but I just got a new bow and we are looking at houses :S

So I was looking at a Flip and Kodak. Flip takes better night time footage and better mic/sound quality but the Kodak has way better picture quality and has double the zoom of the Flip.

I may just get the Kodak that has external mic capabilities even though its not water proof, the Zi8.

10. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    kskcheche im with ya on that one.... but with the waterproof and worry free use i think i wud sacrifice a little bit....

how is the battery life on the playsport and how does it fair trying to record a deer say 100-150 yards away?

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That is an Insane Archery Mount. The PlaySport is easy to get off the mount, but it really wouldn't be all that easy to quickly reattach it to get setup for a shot. The battery life leaves a little to be desired. I actually bought an additional battery for it. I have tried filming deer 100+ yards away, but the footage doesn't turn out all that great. Also low light footage isn't great either. The PlaySport is advertised as waterproof, however I tend to not take my electronics out in the rain, just a personal preference. This is my first season with this set-up so I do not have a lot of footage yet.

12. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a even just a little footage you can show us?

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have nothing loaded on the internet. I may set-up a youtube account at some point but probably won't get around to it until after the season is over.