Field points and broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fox hollow 2, Oct 16, 2014.

1. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When practicing, my field points are flying great. When I practice with my broadheads, they are hitting a little lower. Is this normal? If not, what can I do to get them to fly the same? Should I have my field points hit a little high? Thanks.

2. drewski2124

drewski2124 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look on YouTube and search "broadhead tuning". Field points are much more forgiving if your bow is a little out of tune. Broadheads will catch the air differently when your arrow is released thus they will hit in a different area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are they the same weight? If not it may be as simple as changing to one that is. It may be more than that which means that you need to broadhead tune, which involves adjusting the nock point and/or rest and then making sure they fly true. Field points are very forgiving while broadheads act as additional wings and change the way the arrow flies. You may also need to compare front-of-center balance and make sure your fletching can handle the weight of the broadhead.

4. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first thought. Are they the same weight? I went with the Rage mechanical broadheads starting last year. Love em. Dead on to my field tips. No adjustment necessary. They do need to be the same weight though.

5. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks. I will look into this.