Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Mckaax, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I need 30lbs per acre of nitrogen 0lbs p205 and 80lbs per acre of k20. How do I break that down for a small 2000 sq ft plot. I can't find any 3-0-8 fertilizer

2. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That would be a tough one to get right on the head with one mix. Some co ops will mix up exactly what you need in a bag.
    We have a co op here that you can push urea 46-0-0 and potash 0-0-60 by the pound if needed. With the small amounts your working with it wont hurt you much to buy it buy the pound.

If your numbers are per acre your only working with 1/20th of an acre plot. Heck you can buy it at lowes or probably walmart as well. It might not be right on the head but you can get it pretty close.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so if I found a bag of 10-0-10 that was 30 pounds is that 3 pounds of nitrogen and 3 pounds of k20 or is it 10 pounds of each and 10 pounds of other junk. My question is the number on the bag pounds or %

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you can't find the right fertilizer to match what you need you can use this conversion webpage to help
    you in what you can find. You can change the units to lbs/1000sqft too.

Fertilizer Rate Calculator

5. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand that chart. It's asking me to select what type of fertilizer I want. I need a little nitrate and a little potash.

6. bluecollaroutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    Understanding Fertilizer Numbers: N-P-K: Gardening

The number on the bag is the percent of each. So if you got a 100 lb bag of very common 10-10-10 you have 10 actual pounds of each number in the bag.

If your buying 50 lbs bags which are pretty standard you are always getting half of the number in ACTUAL pounds.
    So if you need 30 actual pounds of nitrogen if you bought a 50 lb bag of urea which would be about 20 bucks you will 46% of that 50 lbs or 23 actual pounds of nitrogen.
    You said you need 80 actual pounds of potash. If you bought a 50 lb bag of 0-0-62 you have 36 actual pounds of potash. You need a little more than 2 - 50 lb bags.
    If I havnt botched any of these numbers I would throw a 50 lb bag of urea 46-0-0 and 2 bags of potash 0-0-62 on it and call it a day. This to me is not the fun part of foodplotting. But trust me that 60 bucks in fertilizer will be the best thing you ever do for your plot besides some cheap lime.

This is a good read. Kinda like a fertilizer for dummies (exactly how I learned) and I still reference it today because this part of plotting is not common knowledge to me. www.learn2grow.com/gardeningguides/fertilizer/basics/understandingfertilizernumbers.aspx

7. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. So let me ask you where do I pick up urea 46-0-0 and 0-0-62 tractor supply only carries 10-10-10 or 10-0-10 or somthing along those lines. The lime I can get 2 ton for $20 that was easy to find

8. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After a little search on google for seed and fertilizer company's I found it local and a great price.

9. bluecollaroutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    Nice there ya go. Now for the big reveal. What are you planning on planting on that plot? Get the lime on there ASAP as it takes time to fully do its thing. The rest of that stuff odds are you can just til in at planting time.

10. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got three different plots One is an acre of beans other is a 1/4 clover and last is 2000sq ft of turnips. Last year they didn't touch my soygram no clue why. If I can get my tractor going soon enough I can turn that 1/4 acre plot into an acre. Not sure if I'm going to have enough time or not.

11. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

CAREFUL buying fertilizer at big box stores. Anything "SCOTTS" OR meant for your lawn and has weed killer in it is a big huge no no... Them stores do carry usually a general 10-10-10 though.

Good info in this thread too.

12. bluecollaroutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    Good call jake. Sounds like he has it all located now. I know that took me a bit to get the whole actual pounds of nitrogen vs just pounds in the bag of fertilizer. I remember asking the same ??? on the QDMA site.

13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just saying that about the fertilizer as I heard from a guy who did a seminar at Fleet Farm about food plots. Lady later got a hold of him ="I DID everything you said and nothing grew" Here the guy looked into it and she showed her receipt to the guy (trying to blame it on bad seed),but receipt showed Scotts fertilizer. oppsieee.

I admit I am more of a throw a general fertilizer at the plot kind of guy though. My clover plots get 2 applications a year of 0-0-6o,foliar fertilizer/grass killer and brassicas get 19-19-19 at time of planting and 2 more smaller applications(along with a foliar fertilizer spray) at 4 inches of growth and a foot before a rain. This year I am going to mess with some 46-0-0.

14. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Today I attended a Qdma seminar and was told not to put any urea down because clover produces it. Is this normal?

15. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes clover and soybeans produce nitrogen for the ground. Hence rotating crops every other year from clover/soybeans and rotate that with brassicas which eat up the nitrogen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of sorghum did you plant that they didn't touch? I'm moderately alarmed by that one...there are types of milo that are made intentionally bitter so it's resistant to damage from blackbirds and it's high in tannins to make it bitter. General rule of thumb is that the lighter the color, the sweeter the grain. If the deer avoided the milo then something was wrong...mine love it. My best camera last year was between a milo field and a bean field.

I don't worry too much about exacting fertilizer numbers, I like 12-12-12 or 30-30-30 for small food plots. Best fertilizer I ever used was Propell brand 30-30-30. It was processed in a way that it broke down quickly, was all the same granulation so it flowed through any planter and broadcaster well...sadly they don't make it any longer. Now I generally have plenty of bulk in a cart that is a rough average of all my soil samples and spread the plots the same as the crop fields.