Feral Dog problem

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Mar 8, 2017.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I've ever seen a feral dog now that I'm thinking about it.

The only thing I would battle with is trying to decide... Is that someones pet or is it feral. How do you know for sure?

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where did I say that I have shot dogs? Do you try to sound foolish, or does it come natural? Either way, your killing it, dog.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ………………..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hate dogs, HATE! I would kill a wild dog in a heartbeat. But I have a more complicated problem. My property borders 100 acres of town parkland, and my town, in it's infinite wisdom, allows unleashed dogs on town land. I have been bitten twice by dogs that were all fired up from chasing deer. They routinely ruin my hunts, and their dirtbag owners think nothing of trespassing onto my property to follow their dogs. I had one woman scolding me for hunting, ON MY LAND! It's gonna get ugly very soon, starting with the black and white mutt with the pink collar!

5. Theblakester

Theblakester Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My dad had a pack of feral dogs roaming his neighborhood a few years ago. Rottweiler, hound dog and a couple lab mixes. They formed a pack. None of them had collars. Everyone out there owns at least 20 acres. All the neighbors spoke and no one owned them. They probably came from the town several miles away and ended up out there. Landowners out there were worried about the safety of their family members, their pets, their livestock, and their wildlife. It was very apparent that these dogs were no ones pets. They threatened my step mom once on her morning walk they stood off with her on the street and started approaching her. She unloaded her carry pistol at them. They ran. General consensus was to shoot them on sight for everyone around my dads place. They know each others dogs. They don't shoot them, even the annoying ones that keep getting out and across property lines that love to chase deer.

Some people on here don't know the difference between a pet that's gotten out, a stray and a feral or pack of feral dogs. The OP said feral. Given those circumstances, after asking around with other landowners, shoot them on sight, if legal. If not legal, look up the 3 S's....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta ask. Can you explain the sponge with bacon grease thing? I've never heard of it.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

A natural sponge is quite small and when it gets wet it expands. It would be swallowed by a dog if covered in bacon grease and once inside an intestine system it would become larger than any option to get out and thus cause a severe blockage (complete constipation) and thus a very nasty slow death unless it is figured out and taken to a vet for an expensive removal surgery.

8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that sounds terrible.

9. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am the biggest dog hater on earth, but even I couldn't do this. Kill yes, make suffer, no. A meatball stuffed with laxative is about the worst I'd consider, and maybe a cupcake with a laxative filling for the inconsiderate owners I'm dealing with!

10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Then, how do you live with yourself?

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    The irony.

frenchbritt123;
    "Now the real question is how does someone whom pulls the trigger on a dog know if he or she is shooting a feral, stray, street dog, pet, etc.? I think in most cases they have know ****ing clue. "

That would be, "no" *****ing clue. When trying to make others look ignorant, its best to "know" how to not end up looking the fool. You "know" what I mean? No?

You're testing my patience.

12. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ………...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  13. Theblakester

Theblakester Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This statement is ignorant and one sided.
    How many acres do you live on? How far is the nearest town/city to you, or do you live in the middle of one? Where does your income come from? Do you own any livestock? Do you buy your meat from the store? Do you do any farming? How directly close does your livelihood relate to the agricultural business?

Before my dad retired from the fire dept and moved out to the country, we hunted but still lived in the suburbs. The thought of killing a dog on your property sounded unfair to me. Over the past several years however, I've learned and understood the justification for it a lot more. Try to be more open minded about it before casting judgement and throwing stones.

After all don't you care about the innocent cute baby deer? Don't their lives matter? How savage of you to support the violent murder and ripping apart of these adorable sweet animals! What about my dads golden retriever, Carson!? He's such a sweet and loyal pet, and you're advocating the endangerment of his life. That's @&$%ed up man. And don't even get me started on the cute stray kitten, Whiskers, that my stepmom adopted and saved from that pack of vicious, rabid, violent, disease infested pack of killers. Or what about the chicken coup that my dad's neighbor owns that they use to feed fresh eggs to the whole neighborhood and get income from to keep their electricity on? Do you really want those wild uncontrollable vermin to destroy and murder all of their chickens that feed so many families and cause that family to not be able to afford their electricity bill?!? Or what about the calf that was just born a week ago that's gonna be raised and sold to feed all the people that live in the city where they go to the grocery store for their meat? What did that poor little calf do to you other than feed your family in the future!?
    Or what about my dads neighbors baby axis and fallow deer? They're so cute and innocent... and you want these wild feral killers to just roam free and threaten their lives. Those animals are worth thousands of dollars to the ranchers nearby my dads place. And they provide hunters from the city with priceless memories and bonding experiences for fathers and sons/daughter and families. And they help feed those people's families. Do you really want to take that away from them?! That's so cruel and cowardly of you........::

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  14. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Which brings up the question again, where did I say that I shot dogs? You accused me of killing dogs. Are you going to back that up, or be a coward?

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I ain't shootin no dog unless it attacks me, my family, and friends, or has the potential to do so based on my observations and life experiences.

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just wow

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have found a daisy red rider bb gun is pretty effective way of sending a message to an unwelcome dog. Non lethal as well.

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    A blast of cold water from the garden hose also does wonders. And, not too cowardly, I hear.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Paintball gun...blow darts....a rock.....

20. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed or mechanical?

Need advice.

Guys, seriously?

When we hunters treat each other this way, put each other down, it is no wonder that the Anti hunters are kicking our butts. (A hunting forum discussing killing dogs with their weapons, this is the way that this **** would be reported by nonhunters)

Agree to disagree and stand as a group. Don't piss on each other's back over a dog.