Feral Dog problem

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Mar 8, 2017.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Y'all need to make a distinction between Stray and Feral.

2. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In wi I DID Shoot #1 a Doberman in my yard trying to attack my dog in a pen ! BAM---#2 I shot a shepard in my back yard stalking my 2 year old daughter ! Local cop and Sheriff said tx way to go !!!!!! SO YES YOU CAN !!!

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hatfield, while I support shooting a dog as a last measure I can't support looking for a reason to shoot a dog. There are non lethal means to deal with dogs on the run. The doberman was not going to get at the dog in a pen, just like the pen keeps dogs in they will also keep a dog out. What I am saying is sure it can happen where you have to shoot a dog but once it happens more than once put the gun down.

4. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are circumstances where it might be justified. But simply shooting a dog running at large will get you in a heap of trouble. Dogs in WI. are considered personal property. Even if you were not cited criminally you could find yourself on the end of a civil suit from the dogs owner for damages and court fee's. This is an example of shooting a dog.

Lincoln County jury awards $145,000 in shooting of coon dog | Arkansas Blog

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    …………….

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Careful, you might fall from that high horse.

You can get the vehicle towed or atleast get information off of it and turn that over to authorities.
    Kinda hard to do that on an animal running loose.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that dogs are pets and or property, not some magic family.
    No different than than any other piece of property.

Keep your property on you property and you'll still have said property.

And any dog with teeth can bite.
    Hell I seen a otherwise sweet golden retriever kill a guinea pig for fun.

7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Molotov cocktails. Then we riddle them with bullets when they exit the burning vehicle. Then, we get their addresses from their wallets, and kill their entire families, and rape their pets.

If they repeat their trespassing poaching ways, we get really nasty.

(This is a satire for you gullible Gumps out there.)

Sir, you're comparing apples and pastrami on rye.

8. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Personal property is personal property. Shoot the truck, problem solved. Lol.

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

IF one were to go back to the OP and read in the word "FERAL" in my opinion the game changes.

I had a neighbor who refused to hitch his dog that repeatedly came a half mile up the road and chased my young cattle through the fence. After many trips to ask him to please restrain his dog and his outright denial and refusal, I went to the local Game warden and sheriff. It seemed that after every time that I reported my young cattle out because a dog had run them through the fence and the police paid him a visit, I would find where a vehicle had driven across my lawn or through one of my crop fields. Such uncanny occurrences.

After one such time and a $100 vet bill, I'm not sure what got into me but as I was fixing the fence before I turned my young cattle back out, a dog came around the corner of the barn heading straight for me, growling and showing his teeth in a rather threatening way. Somehow the handgun from the back of my pants went off. Since that time I've never had another problem with my heifers getting hurt or going through the fence.

10. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Went to spread a load of manure one evening and found this brand new truck parked in my field drive blocking me from getting into my field to finish my work for the day. I remembered that I had seen that very truck in my driveway just the day before when the man and woman asked if they could hunt my land. I told them that my son was hunting in that field but they could hunt in another one as long as they didn't park in the field or driveway.

Funny just how dirty a new truck can get when 275 bushels of manure get spread on it.

11. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    ……………………….

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  12. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Out here in the country, most of us know who's dog is who's. I don't take lightly to shooting a dog/pet, however once they become free ranging, it is very hard to cure them of such habits.

I had to put down a very good coon hound because she couldn't seem to stop chasing deer. Wasn't at the top of my fun list but I tried every method I could find and she just wouldn't stop.

Now I don't condone even slightly the "in town method" of curing wandering dogs, that of leaving a 2"X2" piece of natural sponge that has been soaked in bacon grease laying around.

If a dog is a problem and after I have followed every avenue that I can, especially trying to work with the person that owns the dog and a suitable answer can't be found, if the dog continues to spend time on my property, it will spend a lot of time on my property.

13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I fear bringing my dog into the woods with me, too many of you would just shoot something to solve a problem.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let it be a problem. Problem solved.

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will not shoot a dog that is on my property. Just can't make myself do it. I don't know if that dog is a family pet or a feral chasing deer. The only way I would do something like that is if I was physically in danger.

When I was 10 years old our obedient Siberian Husky strayed away from home with our 1 year old golden lab following. A neighbor ended up shooting our Husky and we never saw our lab again. The neighbor "assumed" the husky was a wolf and shot. We lived in the country and the dog was never tied up (like a lot of farm dogs).

16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coming from you?..........No. Not in the least.

Calling someone a coward from behind a keyboard for protecting life or property is cowardly in my opinion. But you know what they say about opinions.

17. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch the dog hunter; post up some harvest photos. Lol.

18. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most strays are pretty easy to catch with just a little bit of effort, they are not out killing livestock or deer. Most of them wouldn't know what to do with a wild animal if they even managed to catch one. Shooting one of them just because you can is a sign of a JERK to put it mildly. A hot dog and piece of rope or leash is about all it takes. It can then be returned to its owner if known, or authorities if not.

Feral dogs are a different story and would have no problem shooting one (other than aim) if I came upon one.

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well this subject never gets touchy on this this site ha.

I live in a small community and much like elkguide said, you know who's dogs are who's. Granted from time to time a stray shows up at someone's house because it got dumped from someone in the city that thought they wanted a dog but quickly realize after the puppy stage it's work that they don't want. Most of the times these dogs get adopted by someone and most turn out to be great dogs. One we had in particular was a great dog. But that's not always the case.

Example one: growing up at one time there was a neighbor that had 15 to 20 dogs. Sometimes they were all penned up and sometimes they ran free. Over time some decided not to return home and began running people's livestock in some cases killing calves and pigs (this was back when dirt hogs was still a thing) or ganging up on others pets killing them. So needless to say they began to be shot on site and nobody lost any sleep.

Example two, my neighbors that live 500 yards away had a couple dogs that would frequently get loose and acted aggressive toward anyone and others pets. Myself along with other neighbors called several time and the dog would be picked up and taken to the pound. Only to be let out the next day because the owners had a disabled child and used that to get dog back. The last instance happen when I heard my dog who is tied outside when I'm at work and weather permits barking and carrying on. So I got outside to see the neighbors two dogs trying to pick a fight with mine. Now seding as I was home nothing happened, but if it would of been my little sister or anybody else my dog would have been screwed along with potentially her for trying to break it up. Stopping by the neighbors and threatening to get rid of their dogs myself stopped all the trouble.

Now you can call it cowardice or whatever you want but if there's a situation like the first example I have no problem shooting a dog if it's injuring livestock, people, or being a problem.

If your someone who is worried about your dog getting loose or taking it somewhere and someone just shooting it for no reason than since we're stating opinions here's mine. You shouldn't own a dog. I've owned dogs all my life inside, outisde, tied up, and not tied up doesn't matter, none of them ever roamed the neighborhood or were free range. And when they go somewhere with me they're never out of eye site, with the exemption a coon hound while hunting. So if you can't be responsible enough to train your dog to not do whatever it wants then you don't need one.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  20. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you guys are of the impression that killing a dog is some joy. Not. It's sad but necessary sometimes. Context determines.

Running deer with hounds is part of the South. I don't do it but where legal to do so and when done legally, I don't have a problem with it. I have found and captured lost hounds on property where they do not belong very easily -- as Remmett described -- and then gotten the name and number off their collars, and called their owners. No problem, no hard feelings, favor done, goodwill engendered, etc. I would NEVER shoot a hunter's hound, even if it "ruins" a hunt.

But no, I'm not doing the same thing for an uncollered, feral dog at the hunting places deep in the backwoods, miles from a paved road where we hunt. If that makes me a jerk, I'm a jerk.

Feral dogs will run a deer until it cannot go any longer and then eat that animal alive. I assure you an ethical killing shot on a feral dog is a more merciful death than they will show to their prey. And they are not a predator that belongs in the woods. They are a domesticated animal gone rogue because some waste of a wad failed to contain their pet years months or years earlier, or didn't spay or neuter their pet.

And yes, meat eating dogs kept lean from living wild have more stamina for running than herbivore deer. Ask anyone who drives deer with hounds, for example.

I've also been called on by family members to dispatch sick pets. I effin' HATE having to do that, but is it really more cruel than the needle of euthanasia? More cruel than letting them suffer. Guaranteed it hurts the master or friend who has to do it more than the poor animal put out of its misery.