Fence post and field points

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by darrin, Feb 22, 2014.

1. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any idea how to get a 1 inch field point head plust the screw part that is sticking out, out of a fence post with out breaking the arrow?

2. BowMaster5

BowMaster5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've drilled holes around the arrow then slowly wiggled and jiggled it out. Work most every time never broken an arrow just lost the insert and tip a few times.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Can you just unscrew the arrow and donate the tip to the post? Otherwise as Bowmaster said, drill holes along side the tip and work it out.

4. john128652001

john128652001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Albany, NY living with the Yankees but from N.C.
    If that's a carbon arrow you better flex it really good and make sure it's still good. I had something like that happen one time and didn't check the arrow. It blew apart in my bow at full draw release. I was wearing a heavy coat and an arm guard and was very lucky to only get a bruise. My coat and arm guard where full of carbon fibers that looked just like porcupine quills. So just make sure that arrow is still good and save yourself a trip to the ER and a lot of pain. I myself would snap it off and throw it away and call it a loss. Arrows aren't made for abrupt stops like brick walls and trees and fence post.

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah just unscrew it, field points are cheaper to replace than an arrow.

Had a guy shoot a arrow into piece of wood around a target and couldn't get it out and he was there for about 5 minutes trying too get it out holding up the shooting line. So I went over to help him out and I just unscrewed the arrow and said here you go...next thing I know dude is pissed at me because I didn't get the field point out. :lol:

6. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Is that a WOOD or METAL fence post?

7. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends you might have smashed the head into the arrow most times this happends thats why you cant just un screw it from the post but ive never drilled along side a arrow my buddy hit a fence post and a post in my barn lol he drilled the other side of the post where the arrow hit and pushed it out like that against the head it worked one arrow was ok the one that hit my barn post smashed the head almost all the way into the arrow and split the arrow about 5 inches it was funny when it happend though it was a dumb mistake lol hope you get yours out.

8. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the fence post is wooden, I believe douglas fir. The wood is cracked above and below the field point. I was able to easily unscrew the arrow from the field point and have it with me in my room. The carbon shaft appears uncracked from inspection in the sunlight.

I don't have a drill, but was thinking about a wine bottle opener with the wings on it that would allow you to thread the field point and directly get it out, but problem with this idea is that I can't seem to figure out how to get a tube or something that could allow threading to pull the thing out. Kind of motivated to get it out because I am renting the house I am in. Can't imagine if land lord saw that they would be to stoked to see a field point sticking out of the fence post.

9. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    got the field point out today, by screwing on an old cracked aluminum arrow and than pulling the field point and arrow out with both hands real hard. I was concerned about breaking the carbon arrow yesterday, but not with the old Al arrow.