Fat tire or standard mountain bike

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AL fulldraw, Jun 12, 2018.

1. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to purchase a mountain bike for the purpose of hunting. I would use this bike for checking cameras and going from truck to my tree stand. My situation is we have a large lease with gas well roads and really no place to park my truck other than at the gate or in the middle of the road. My question is being that I will be riding on gravel roads that are packed and occasional ATV roads should a standard mountain bike with standard tires suit my purposes. On the other hand I hear that a fat tire bike does extremely well on Offroad situations. Does anyone have any experience using a mountain bike for hunting Whitetail.

2. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ride my mountain bike three x a week. I ride a Cannondale Jekyl. You should be able to pick up a used Specialized stump jumper hard tail on Ebay for under $200. It should work well on gravel and have enough gears to get you up hills. The bigger the tires the more the bike will float over loose gravel. The older aluminum frames have lugs to bolt on racks and such to help carry gear. If you have a lot of gear you may look into a trailer. Burly makes a good one or you could shop Ebay for a kiddie trailer you could modify to carry stands sticks and such. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

AL fulldraw likes this.
  3. AL fulldraw

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. The only gear and that I would be hauling would be a climbing stand and my bow. I would like to find something that I could mount on the bike to be able to hold my climbing stand and my bow I will have to do some research on that.We do have a few hills, how many gears should I be looking for on a bike to give me the best results for hills?

4. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How far will you be riding? Where do you plan on parking the bike while you hunt? As far as gearing any mountain bike worth it's salt will already have the appropriate gearing to tackle any hill you need it to. Personally I'd go fat tire. More versatile. Can ride it in the snow.

JohnnyD likes this.
  5. AL fulldraw

Dislikes Received:
    Probably the longest ride will be 3/4 mile. I planned on parking the bike in the woods off of the edge of the gravel road. Not much snow here in Alabama but would have rain and mud.

6. Kfili

Kfili Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless the rain is real intense, if you dont get snow I dont see the point in a fat tire. A lot of extra effort to peddle that thing around. since your gonna be towing some hunting gear I would recommend a regular mountain bike. I have a specialized rock hopper and love it as a bike, but havent ever used it to pull some hunting gear.