Fall Food Plot 2014 Western PA

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by POWERHAWK_11, Jun 2, 2014.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some bucks from the plot this week. The second buck is one of our hitlisters from earlier in the year. He has been around for two weeks now so he should be around all winter, unless someone puts an arrow in him. :bow: :deer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to next year this is a preliminary design for the food plot. I am going to try and do a strip of corn in the middle of the plot. I want it to flare out at the ends acting as a screen for protections. On the outside edges I am going to plant some of pastorandrew's seed blend.

[​IMG]

3. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what I am looking to achieve in the food plot next year. I have to put in a drainage system to get the water out of the plot which really hindered it this year. As you can see in the picture I am going to dig an arc at the head of the creek to funnel all the water to the main pipe. The pipe will be buried and run the length of the plot. I am also moving stand locations for next year. The tree I was in this year was nice but I had a lot of bucks traveling up on the other side of the plot where the blue lines are. The plot itself is going to be more than doubled for next year. It won't be a lot of work wince there are just a few multifloral roses. I am hoping to get in there and start removing some of the bushes and saplings over spring break but there still might be a foot of snow on the ground.

[​IMG]

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like your plan Aaron. How thick is the new area that you're going to extend into? I'm undergoing a similar project this year and adding more area to the plot I established last year. The deer quickly demolished my clover stand last fall when the leaves changed, so that means I need a bigger area! Are you just taking a chainsaw to all the saplings or do you have access to a bulldozer?

Keep updating the pictures, love scrolling through threads like these to see the progress. Good luck bud!

6. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    No the area where I am expanding to is not thick. If I get in there early enough all the weeds will still be knocked down and the new growth will not have come up yet. I am going to take a chainsaw to the saplings and 1 larger tree. Then I am going to use the snow plow on the ATV to get rid of most of the brush. Looking straight ahead is where I am expanding to.

[​IMG]

7. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a killer staging area for the deer before they go out into the big field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    I have high hopes for it. I should have killed a 125" out of there but was hunting the wrong stand that morning.

9. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta love that! But he knows where the food plot is now and he'll be bigger this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of snow is melting here so I went down to the food plot and found this... Needless to say I think it is going to be a good idea to put in a drainage system.

[video=vimeo;121941339]https://vimeo.com/121941339[/video]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015