Fall Black Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by EVO100517, Sep 8, 2019.

1. EVO100517

EVO100517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first time hunting fall black bear.
    I cannot bait in my state but I have access to over 80,000 acres of very low pressured land.
    I can use 1.5oz of liquid attractant/scent
    Tips or ideas on how I can maximize my chances of getting my first black bear?

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on the terrain, spot and stalk would be my first choice.
    Calling would be my second with some liquid scent out. Fawn distress with a hand call, if electronics are allowed crow frenzy might work.
    If there aren't springs and creeks everywhere like there is here, water could be an option too.
    Any apple trees where you can hunt? They can draw them in too.

3. EVO100517

EVO100517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely some apple trees.
    Electronics are allowed so might look into that.
    I thought they would be far too elusive for a spot and stalk. Any tips on best way to approach that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely have to have the wind in your favor. Those buggers have a heck of a sniffer on them! Good luck, sorry i cant be of more help, ive only ever hunted bear over bait

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Their eyesight isn't the greatest, if you aren't moving when they look towards you they generally don't see you. Pretty much the same as with any other animal when stalking, but seem to get away with more with bear (eyesight wise). Most animals pick up standing human form pretty quickly, but bear not so much. I'd still try to be hunched over or kneeling when they're about to look your way and make as little noise as possible when moving. Wind must absolutely be in your favor, they are gone if they smell you.
    They will feed on the edge of clear cuts or openings, especially if there are berries. Early morning and evening. I seem to spot more of them in the mornings when I'm archery hunting elk. I don't actively hunt them normally in the fall, but when I want one for the freezer and was unsuccessful in the spring I'll switch off from elk if I locate one in a good spot for a stalk.
    Food source is everything to them in the fall before they go to hibernate, packing on pounds is their single highest priority. If you can find a spot with a really good view of openings or clear cuts, that's probably your best bet to locate one. Other than that it is sitting on a food source, like the apples, and hoping one comes in. At a food source like that I wouldn't be afraid to throw in some calling either, there more than likely is one hanging out within hearing distance of a good food source. I'd scout the apple tree areas and look for sign that one is hitting them. Days you don't feel like hiking, sit on the apples, days you don't feel like sitting, hit a good view point and try to spot & stalk.

EVO100517 likes this.
  6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could try a. " Honey burn"

7. EVO100517

EVO100517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Really great advice. Looks like I'll scout a few apple trees. We also have a berry patch they planted where I hunt for surveying that not a lot of people know about. Might be a good spot.
    I found a really nice hilltop/ridge that overlooks about 20 acres of open field before the woodline. I might just post up there for a few hours bright and early in the morning.