Failure to draw

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Coastie, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Coastie

Coastie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two days ago a buddy of mine had a decent 8 point come in. Twice, once at 13 and once at 8 yards the buck stopped and gave him a perfect broadside shot. He was completely unable to draw his bow (usually not an issue). Was this buck fever? Has this happened to anyone else?

2. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many layers of warm clothes did he have on, or did he have on heavy overalls. That makes a huge difference when your freezing your ham off and try to pull back 70 pounds. I have dropped my bow down 3-5 pounds if I know I'm going to have on triple layers, and I always do a test draw before I leave the house and once I get settled in the stand.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have made about every mistake a Bowhunter can make, and had about every issue that can happen to a Bowhunter happen to me....

But I.pull 70+ pounds and I have never had an issue pulling my bow in any weather, position (sitting, standing), or clothing. I watch some of these shows and alot of the shooters look like they struggle when they are pulling back....I am no weakling, but I am not a muscle head either ....

4. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    never heard of that before.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never. I can't even imagine...

6. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard of hunters "locking-up" during the moment of truth, but I have never had it happen to me. Like stated above.....I always draw before I get into my stand, and once or twice after I am strapped in........just to make sure things are good to go.

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Physically unable or mentally unable?

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does he shoot his bow daily or weekly? Ive went a couple of months without shooting mine before and it was tough to pull back.

Thats the only thing I could imagine or something broke on the bow but I dont know what could cause that.

9. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If anything, when I drew to shoot my deer the bow was back before I knew it!

10. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoulder straps on his Bibs or Fall gear was to tight.

11. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had that happen for sure, I guarantee I could draw a 100 lb bow in the heat of the moment. Sometimes I'm afraid I might snap my D loop when I draw back on a big buck :lol:

12. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never had that happen to me thank god! Like everyone else said pull your bow back before you go out to make sure everything is good.

13. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say it was definitely buck fever. Never had it happen to me, but a buddy of mine for some reason would lock up whenever he saw a deer. It didn't seem to matter what the temperature was. The same guy had on problem pulling 70lbs all day long at a 3-D shoot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. juice9

juice9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like he frooze up in the moment. Keep him postive he will be get past it. Sounds like he Just needs some more experience it happens. He was probably put so much effort and work into that moment he body just kinda frooze. It can be overcome with some more time afield and not overthinking it. tell him it's simple pull bow back and let the arrow hit the spot! And you get the rewards for all the work put in for the moment.

15. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think it could be buck fever. It can make some people have weird reactions. This doesn't have to do with a bow hunt but a friend of mine many years ago had a monster in front of him while rifle hunting with a lever action 30-30 and he cycled all the rounds through it and never actually pulled the trigger. We still pick on him to this day about it. :)

16. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a couple weeks ago when I shot my first deer I remember the draw weight increasing tenfold.
    Just drew (and missed) on another doe a couple days ago and it felt all back to the normal 60 .lbs I pull.

It's a brain thing.

17. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes... I have done that... it once took me three tries to pull back on a ten point. I had already killed several deer that year... I was cold... excited a little... I don't know what but yes it happened to me. I did finally get it back and made the shot count. I do have shoulder issues at times. Now I usually pull my bow back several times during a hunt to keep everything loose.

18. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It happened to me this season on an all day hunt. I've been having back spasms since early spring and when I went to draw back, my back just locked up. I'm shooting 63 lbs and shoot a lot. It's the only time I've had it happen, but it definately sucked!

19. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    never got to the point where I wasen't able to pull it back however I have got to the point where I struggled to pull back. Usually is always because i'm cold..