Failed food plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by joshua pierce, Mar 10, 2018.

1. joshua pierce

joshua pierce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the last 2 years I’ve planted food plots in the woods using seed that requires little sun and little plot work. The food plot does great for the first 30 days or so and then it just dies on me. What am I doing wrong???

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no clue what do when it comes to foot plots, so take this with a grain of salt. Are you doing a PH test? I'm assuming a lot of leaves on the ground, so it should need more lime than normal? I know a lot of them say no till, but in the woods the seed bed is usually pretty hard..I'd try to at least work it some.

Again I could of just told a bunch of lies, I'm sure someone here will actually give you a answer...I'm trying to learn the food plot ways.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a complicated issue. Before anyone can offer any meaningful advice you'll have to give more information. Where are you at, what kind of "woods" (species of trees, height, thickness, diameter of trees), what time frame/time of the year are you talking about and what have you been planting? Have you ran soil tests, applied any lime or fertilizer?

Food plots in the woods is about the most challenging scenario out there. You have a lack of sun, immense competition for moisture and nutrition, etc...

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cut back canopy to obtain 6+ hrs of daylight
    Get soil to 7
    Fence off until sept 1

Profit