Ezy step review...What tree steps do you use?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by L.I. BOW, Oct 18, 2012.

1. L.I. BOW

L.I. BOW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bunch of hang ons that I leave in all year. I just unscrew when I get down and screw back in to climb up. I use the cheap tree steps and I was looking for better options. The steps I use I bought from ****s and although they get me up the tree I figured if looked maybe I'd find better steps. I might eventually get the LW sticks but for now I'll be useing my steps.
    I found the ezy steps web site and they said they were self tapping and they looked ok so I bought one of each. They have a original step, deluxe step, folding step, a step with a rubber coating, removable steps and a t step. If your not familiar with these steps do a search and youll see what im talking about. If I was going to go the removable step route I'd get bear claws so I ordered the other 4 steps to try out. The folding step is nice but it's heavier and I'd rather not have 2 hingeson a step. The original was the lightest and the foldable screw was firm but easily pulled out into place to screw in. The deluxe screw hinge was loose and it flopped in and out and was a pita. And the coated step was....well a coated step. Although the rubber coated step made less noise it was heavier than my old cheap steps. As far as self tapping goes they were just a little better than my cheap steps. The t step was easy to "punch" into the tree and easy to screw in. However it only has a small surface area to climb on and your weight must be vertical. A standad step will push foward if you Space them too far apart. It's not a problem but if you do this with the t steps they will rotate and you will loose your footing.

To be honest I might just stick to my original steps. I only tried the ezy steps in my yard so I'll give them another shot in the woods but it seems like there not a huge improvement.

I found a stand in the woods and the guy had the removable bear claws attached to the tree. They were light and Folded nicely. I'm curious how many guys use these? What do you think of them ? I'd hate to have to use a
    wratchet to screw in screws before I can put steps on them. If I was going to use the same tree then they would be great otherwise I'd need a ton of screws.

I will be useing a hang on and moving from property to property so all needs To go up and come down the same day. I know the sticks will do that but for the time being I'm useing spikes. I have my LW hand climber and a few sets up already this set up will be so that I can go anywhere and get into any tree at and time.

So guys what spikes/steps do you use? If you use the bear claws how many trees do you have screws in? What do you like or dislike about them. There are plenty threads on climbing sticks but not so many on steps. It would be nice to see what you guys use and why. I know I'm horrible at exspaining things so if you have and questions about the ezy steps I'll be happy to answer them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    walmart has the gorilla vortex steps, they are easy to screw in and they are very similar to the ezy steps, $12.97 for 6 its a very good deal, better than the skinny ameristeps and about the same price

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you talking about Ezy Climb tree steps?

If so, the original single folding ones are the best they've made.

The Ameristep solid steps are hard to beat and though they are large diameter, they start easily.

One thing I have done, especially on Hickory trees is I welded a T handle onto a 1/4' drill bit. I keep it in my pouch and when I get a tree that is very hard, I tap a starter hole about 1/2" deep to get that first bite.

4. L.I. BOW

L.I. BOW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fairtondoeslayer: the gorillas look good I ill check them out. They look similar to the steps I use now.

Muzzy man: yes I'm talking about the single fold ezy climb tree step. I said 2 hinges because the screw itself is hinged and the foot step folds up. I guess it's a single hinge but there's 2 moving parts. I'm going on 3 years on my ameri steps. The point is not what it was and on hard trees they are a pain. When you push and turn a few times and dont get penetration it sucks. I like the idea of useing a t bar with the bit to start them in. That's why I like the t steps better than the original. With the t in my fist it's easier to punch it in to start rather than turn till it catches. Sure you can punch the originals in but there more awkward compared to the t. Like I said my only gripe with the t is the small foot surface and the fact that you have to be careful not to apply ANY /away force when stepping.

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes,,, they are a bit small, especially with Rubber Boots. Try the T on the drill bit or carry a cordless drill with a bit to get things going into hard trees. I think you will love the idea even more in practice than theory. I just go back and forth a few times with the bit about 90 degrees while pushing slightly. You don't have to go around in full circles and you will have a nice starter hole.

6. fairtondoeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    everytime i go to walmart i see if they have the steps, can't have too many with thiefs out there

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^!!!!! I've been buying packs of these the last few weeks. A few of the walmarts in rural SE Kansas (chanute, Iola) have em on clearance for 10.50$. Gotta love end of season clearance at Walmart.

8. fairtondoeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    hell yeah, they're just as good as ezy steps if you ask me and for the money, they're actually one of the cheapest steps out there, all 3 of the walmarts were out last time i checked

9. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use the bigger one piece ameristep, and they worked good. Still have some stand sites with them in the trees. Solid as a rock (the thicker ones, can't remember the name). I've since gone to climbing sticks. Much easier to put up and take down. I bought a bunch of 20' millenium stick sets about 5 yrs ago, love em.

10. fairtondoeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    walmart near my house had 4 packs of the gorilla steps, bought 3 of them for $11 a pack, awesome deal!!

11. Robm1093

Robm1093 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bruce, if the way you are hunting is working for you with the screw in steps then stays with them and don’t waste your money. You already have the climbing stand covered and if you get anything else I recommend the wolf climbing sticks. You can Take a look at mine first if you are thinking of getting them and make shore you get the copper color made in the US sticks. Any other colored wolf sticks was made in china before the company moved back to the US. The box will say made in us and they were made in china (surprise)

12. Robm1093

Robm1093 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    stiks

Copper color made in usa sticks

Attached Files: