explain the vertix bow..Im an idiot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    so what is the top hats? what is the advantage of switchweight tech? is it a smooth draw at 60# and 70#. I have shot one but it was too long of a draw length.. Im a 27" on Elite bows but 26.5 on every other bow I shot.. so if I want a 60# they just switch mods? how do they change the draw length? mods? sorry but I have no idea what all the factors are.. Im really looking at this bow very hard. trying to decide if I want a 60# or 70#. I like to shoot my bows maxed out..oh and what's the deal with new QAD rest for this bow? is this a necessity?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. Lots of questions here!

- Top hats are the spacers Mathews uses to hold the cam system in place between the limbs. Think of them as bushings. They make several different sizes so that you can shim your cams to one side or the other depending on how your bow is shooting and it needs to be tuned. Personally speaking I've never needed to get new top hats as all my Crosscentric Cam bows have tuned just fine. The only change I've had to make was moving the top hats to the other side.
    - Switch weight technology is pretty cool in that it allows you to change the peak draw weight of your bow by simply swapping out the modules on your cams. In the past this type of change required all new limbs. Now you can turn a 60 lb bow into a 65 or 70 lb bow with a module swap. So for the guy who likes to shoot his bow maxed out, it's a nice feature. It's great for resale value as it makes the bow much more flexible in what it can do.
    - Draw length is also changed using the same modules.
    - Are they smooth? I think so, but I've found that everyone's opinion is different.
    - The QAD Integrate rest isn't mandatory, but it's pretty dang sweet. Pricey though! I'm running an HHA Virtus on mine with no issues.

Ryan Cornelius, NMGuy and 78littlered like this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    as always Justin, you come through with a great real world explanation. Like others have said, you never hesitate to help and that is why this is the BEST bowhunting site/forum out there. Thanks for the details!! and come to think of about it, the switch weight tech is a game changer... shops carrying all mods can have you shooting whatever you want in minutes with the same bow. selling the bow? easy, just change the mods!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    so is the draw length affecting the draw weight on this bow...so in other words, if I order a 26.5" DL will I still hit 60# with the 60# mods?

5. Bgoes41

Bgoes41 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I put my Elite Impulse 31 on the market today fully loaded for $500. I hope to sell it in the next few days. I have ordered 26.5 and 27" mods for a stone colored Vertix with 60# mods at my local shop. I want to shoot this with right draw length before I pull the trigger. I hope that I am making the right decision... Elite make a great bow, I have usually been very pleased with their bows, but I am just not sure about their longevity and customer service. Plus, every shop around here has dropped them.. Mathews has been around a long time and is a very reputable company. I hope this a bow that I can hold on to for years to come.

NMGuy likes this.