Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool Finch, I believe I am going to get out on my mountain bike and ride tomorrow for 45-60 minutes or so. I need a couple more extended cardio/calorie burn sessions a week.

2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm hoping to do a good bit of riding if I buy this bike. One reason I miss living "back home" is I could walk out the door of my parent's house, hop onto my bike, and go riding in the mountains all day. Now, I'll have to load the bike up in the truck and drive a little to ride some good trails.

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Finch, I looked up Boones Mill on the map. It looks like you are positioned in a fantastic spot, right between the National Forest and Smith Mountain Lake! Awesome.

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is so nice to have some cooler weather finally. It was in the low 80s yesterday afternoon (usually in the high 90s). I ran my normal 4 mile loop, which I usually run between 30-32 minutes for my tempo runs, but yesterday I was able to run it in 27. It felt good.

5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll bet it did. Incredible (to me).

In contrast, I did another 10K this AM in just under 1:10:00. Yep....that's right....1:10:00.....lol. I'm in Atl., and it's a "bit" more humid here than home at 8:00AM. When you're training by HR, it's humbling to have walkers almost keep up with you! Avg. HR of 135 for my run.

I am SO hoping for cooler weather for my 1/2 in Oct.. I really wanna go <2hrs..

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    My legs were tightened up from those sprints yesterday yet I wanted to run a good strong 2 miles today. So I went out and ran hard. I finished the 2 mile run at 15:57. That is over a minute better than my best 2 mile run just over a month ago. I hadn't run but one distance run in over a week because my legs/joints had been stiff and sore. My lungs hurt a bit but my legs felt strong.

7. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    tried to ride my mt bike down the street with my effed up knee... no go... knee doesn't wanna bend past 90° without some significant pain... still to early I reckon...

on the lighter side, the day before I nuked my knee I went and test road the 2011 Specialized road bikes... WOW!!!! last road bike I had was a mid80's Fuji, these newer road bikes are friggin rocket ships in comparison... I think once the knee comes back to life I'm going to invest in a decent road bike, kinda forgot how much i used to enjoy doing that...

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which one? I almost bought the Secteur.

Just got home from a beautiful ride through Stone Mtn. state park (GA). Stunning views.

I've decided.....I'm faster, and go longer, in kilometers....lol. 40K bike ride, tonight.

1,819cal. burned (total of both workouts)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great run tonight. Loving the cooler weather too. I pushed it hard and kept the pace the entire run. It was great.
    Much better than last night. I didnt give enough time after eating & felt like garbage.

10. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    I test rode an S-Works Tarmac (Dura-Ace equipd) and a Roubaix Elite (Ultegra group)... also got a close up look at Fabian Cancellera's TdF bike... WOW was that think nice!

I think if I was buying today I'd probably pick the Tarmac Comp double (given that I had the $$) but more realistically I'd probably get the the Allez Sport, its just simple economics at that point eh?? when I went into the demo I expected to prefer the Roubaix by a wide margin because of its more relaxed geometry and comfort driven intent... but I tried a Tarmac and fell in love despite the more aggressive intent of the bike...

11. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I am looking for some sound advice on how to lose weight. Right now I am 5 8" and weigh about 190 lbs. I have kind of a stocky build, but still have a good bit of muscle. I am wanting to get down to about 180 to 175 lbs. Right now my main focus is cardio, and then once I get to where I want to be weight wise I plan on starting to lift. What foods should I add to my shopping list whenever I go? I am in college, so I do drink a good bit of beer on the weekends. Will it still be possible to drop weight with the intake of empty calories from beer? I am planning on running every other night, and hopefully get up to about two miles between walking a bit and mostly running.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Beer is a killer for gaining weight. I remember the days of drinking 15 beers a night on Friday and Saturdayin college. No wonder I had no trouble maintaining my weight in college!

Just think about this, you drink 10 beers both on Friday and Saturday. That is around 3,000 calories. Now over the course of the week you have to somehow off-set that surge in calories. That means you have to take in around 400-500 calories less per day than you normally do just to maintain your weight! Now if you want to lose weight, you have to take off that much more, but it can be done, especially at your age.

1) cardio is a must. 3-4 days a week for 30+ minutes should be your goal.

2) small changes in your diet will go a long way toward losing weight. For example, simply putting Mayonnaise on only one piece of bread instead of two will save you 20-30 calories, probably more. Now just imagine if you made small changes like that throughout the day...you would be saving hundreds of calories without sacrificing much of anything in terms of taste. That stuff builds up.

The 3-4 cardio workouts per week should burn off around 600-800 calories. Now if you cut out just 200-400 calories more per day due to your diet, which is nothing, you could be netting 2,500 less calories per week which would cause you to lose about 3 pounds of fat per month.

GOOD luck Brandon.

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody can do this.....

My wife ran a 5K tonight with me. She ran the whole time (slow...which was the plan), and her longest previous run (without stopping) was 1.5mi..

Run slower .....run more.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Road 7 miles on my mountain bike. Didn't hurt cardiovascularly but my quads did burn. It put all the pressure on my thighs and it was a fun workout.

15. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, was able to get a couple full revolutions on the mtb yesterday with my effed up knee... pedaled about half a block... if I need surgery my season is nuked, not real thrilled about that, but my health is more important than gettin out in the woods...

16. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, anyone can do it. My wife is a serious runner, I am not, but I like to participate. I "run" the 5ks with no training. Its really not hard. I just find a pace I can maintain the entire run. I am definitely not fast.

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since you are in college, you probably want easy and cheap right? Brown rice, chicken breasts, tuna, oatmeal, greek yogurt, all relatively cheap and easy to cook.

Keep it limited to only the weekends. Stop at a 6 pack.

If you want to lose weight, you need to lift weights. Cardio is great, but you only burn calories as you are running. When you lift, you are burning calories even after you finish lifting. Lift one day, then do some cardio the next.

Losing weight really isn't hard. Eat better. Exercise more.

18. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    or get use to liquor instead, cheaper and much fewer carbs involved... rum/diet coke if straight booze you can't handle yet... jack/diet coke is another winnah

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I almost recommended this, but every guy I knew in college that drank liquor at parties instead of beer turned into raging alcoholics later in life :lol:

20. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:

WORD :tu: