Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those articles make me feel fine. I drink my whey protein - post workout - with 1% milk. Kind of a triple-play.

3. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with your assessment. There is also a lot of chatter out there that too much Whey can be rough on Kidneys and the Liver. One of my workout buddies also had elevated Cholesterol and the doctor asked if he took Protein supplements. The doctor advised him to back off because they can be a major factor and he no longer has elevated levels. He was doing a morning shake, lunch, post workout and bedtime shake at the time.

4. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would you guys post some meals you really like. One snack I am huge on is a blackberry/peanut butter sandwhich. You loose all the sugar because you do not use Jelly, but man are they good. I also make them with bannanas. I use this as a snack/meal replacement.

5. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This can be true...couple years back I was taking Whey with skim milk twice daily on weekdays and hitting the weights pretty good...got some labs done for some additional life insurance (with 3rd kid on the way then)...Insurance denied and the nurse & my agent were dumbfounded based on my age/weight/diet/exercise...ends up two major indicators came back with sky high numbers (I cannot recall which they were at this time-one was cholesterol based I believe)...but the first comment on my results was this is typically result of Too Much protein in your blood. I dropped the Whey that day, 2 months later blood labs were perfect...so good to go. Just haven't touched it since...lean meat - and peanut butter now (plus weights are small part of my training now - mostly stairmill, running, and hiking with 50lb pack)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Michael, that sure as heck does sound good. I have noticed when I reduce the sweets, my weight drops. I even try to drink coffee without sugar. I like to chop up some chicken, put some glorious GENERAL Tso's sauce on it, and cook it up in a pan with some light olive oil. Then I just add some steamed brocolli and I am good to go with a solid meal of only 600 calories or so. I have also gotten into eating black beans. They are really good for you and they fill you up. Man I need to drop another 10 pounds. I ran the old 2.1 miles this morning.

I have not used Protein supplements for over 5 years. I used them for almost 15 years and I cannot stomach the taste of them anymore. Maybe I should start adding one 30-40 gram of protein shake a day to help me out. I am noticing some muscular breakdown here recently that probably can be attributed to a lack of protein.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  7. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    They have improved the taste with some brands;)

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    raceway, I may look to take some protein here soon...any suggestions on the brand?

I set a goal a couple of weeks ago to be able to do 5 sets of 20 push-ups. I thought I was close when I started but during my first workout I only was able to do 2 sets of 20 push-ups then failed at 15 on the third set. Yikes. Today, two weeks later I did 4 sets of 20 and failed at 13 on my fifth set. Big difference! My body is not used to do such high reps and sets because I have always been conditioned for the 10-12 rep thing. I am hoping by next week I will reach my push-up goal of 5 sets of 20. Once I hit that I am moving on to five sets of 25.

9. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I drink a Labrada Lo Carb or GNC low carb every day for breakfast, will add a scoop of whey also, try to keep them at the 300ish cal range.

10. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I was taking Nitro Core from Optimum Nutrition but it is pricey.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/nitrocore-24-p-261.html

Currently I am taking Muscle Milk sold through Costco, 6lbs for $28.99. I take the stuff after my daily workout and that is it, so I really didn't think the Nitro Core was worth the coin. Both taste great with skim milk or higher octane milk.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Florida and Race...I appreciate it.

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I use Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey. http://www.optimumnutrition.com/pro...1.html?zenid=9d745a67a81fead28427394ceba9a99c My flavors of choice are Double Rich Chocolate and Rocky Road, both are great in about 6 oz of milk, however if you use water only use about 4 oz for a better consistency.

13. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting in this thread a little late, but I've read through most of it. I just graduated from Marine Corps OCS down in VA where I lost 15lbs and a good amount of strength, so right now I'm eating everything in sight and focusing on getting my weight/strength back while maintaining most of the endurance I gained this summer. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to regain the weight/strength.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Zdeer! I live just a mile or so North of Quantico and hunt down there all the time.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to run the same 3.5 miles a little quicker today. Was humbled really quickly, although it did feel pretty good pushing myself a little harder. 3.5 miles in 25 minutes.

As far as supplements are concerned, I just try to eat lean protein from food , but don't mind 100% Whey with skim milk and PB (although I haven't taken whey in 4 years really).

16. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, eat like a pig...you can do it at your age

I left OCS in 89, down 35 from what I came in at - 6'6" 198, my fiance now wife walked right past me at the 8 week mark, didn't recognize me.

but I could run a sub 6 min mile

I hit the weights when I was done and got right back into the 220's and stayed there until I hit about 27, and then it slowly creeped on to my now over standard 250ish, but that also included a serious bout of weights that added considerable mass. So I am an old, fighting body fat LtCol now.

I drop and add as the year goes on and make the Body Comp gods happy.

When you come back for TBS, let me know I'll take you out hunting- turkey or deer depending on your timing.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    MGH--no shame in that 3.5 mile time, that is an excellent time...I sure as heck would like to be able to run like that right now!

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So would I, Brett.....lol.

969cal's burned, tonight. 24.5mi. @ 18.1mph avg. Rode 90%+ in aero. Best training ride I've had.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    My body started to really get sore today after working out the last couple of days. Today, I only walked 2 miles and did an ab workout, then stretched out real good. Total calories burned=maybe 79. LOL

20. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Some times you need to take a day off;) I just took three off and had the best chest and tri workout of my life.