Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Separate days for me. Weights three days per week and cardio two or three days a week. Other than sprinting I hate cardio in the gym. All those machines bore me. I can throw on a weighted vest and walk an inclined treadmill to simulate hiking with a pack. But an hour of that is tough to finish because it is boring too. I love hiking with a pack outdoors but family commitments and summer heat make that challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

elkguide likes this.
  2. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Better to have an injury and temporary pain related to training than to have constant pain from doing nothing.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you'd say that. Nearly 3yrs ago when I started this program at age 60, I was beginning to have pain in my hips and alot of lower back stiffness, especially in the morning. Now after 3yrs, all the hip pain is gone and I have alot less stiffness. Not to mention, my energy and stamina are through the roof! Now if I could just get my neck and shoulders better, I'd feel like a 20 year old again. Well maybe not 20 but you get the idea.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

95grvrMotive6 and cantexian like this.
  4. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Exercise and physical activity is the closest thing to a fountain of youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

virginiashadow likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have to get this 10 lb gut off me. lol. Been working out hard and modified my diet to take out a lot of the sugars. Giving it a full go for 2 months to see where I will end up. I've only strayed a couple times in the past month, and when I did mess up by consuming way too much sugar I didn't just say screw it and quit, I just kept making small moves.

Funny how much slower I am these days. Strong....but slower. The old knees aren't that great but I was out running 12o yard sprints tonight and doing lunges. Im pretty much crawling around my house tonight because my legs are dead.

cantexian likes this.
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can do it man! Keep pushing yourself. Hit the ibuprofen when you need.

7. Lovehunt11

Lovehunt11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is good, I don’t know why no one continue post this year. I backpack and run each week to make ready for Colorado Elk trip this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    266 bales of alfalfa grass mix 13,500 pounds total weight put in the barn tonight, no elevator.

dnoodles and virginiashadow like this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ( Tips hat in respect)

dnoodles likes this.
  10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been doing pull ups and pushups in full gear at work. Also been running and walking. Staying consistent even when I'm working hard and don't have a lot of time to work out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    #metoo
    the closest I came to failing my PT test was on the 200m sprint. No matter how much I trained I could only get 5-7 seconds under passing. I just could not do it any faster, and it's not like I was slowing down or even that gassed at the end. As recently as 29yoa (11 years ago) I could still run a sub-5 40 pretty easily...Getting old sucks; but it beats the alternative.

virginiashadow likes this.
  12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

damn, old timer. Good on you.
    Instead of working out today I shoveled, carted, leveled, and hand compacted about 3500lbs of fairly wet grade 8 limestone for my shed base. The shovel, carting, and leveling wasn't too bad. But the hand compacting? Efffff that. I should've spent the $50 at HD and rented a gas powered. Would've been done compacting in 20 minutes instead of 2 hours. And my upper back and hands wouldn't feel like they went through a wood chipper.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah tools are our friend, glad that the hay was a once a year thing I will get 3 big squares and that will be it for the year, now I have to get started on the firewood.

14. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i’m gonna read this thread. i have 3 kids under 7 and now getting more free time because they play together and don’t need the constant supervision (youngest is 2.5 yrs). so i have to start an exercise routine(now or never), i’ve been hiking further into the woods and carrying more gear every year. 38 yrs old this fall.

when you have babies/toddlers, you’re constantly off the couch tending to them...now not as much cause you send the oldest to fetch stuff. plus not so many “toddler curls” to keep upper body toned.

i gotta get a weight set or gym membership. i could do push ups/ pull ups but i don’t think i’d stick with it like i would if i spent the money on something. sounds dumb i know. anyone else like that?

15. Lovehunt11

Dislikes Received:
    My shouldering ( the holding bow hand ) got hurts over 2 months due over exercise, I couldn’t shoot my bow for over a month and haft. I started to shoot my bow back 2 weeks ago but a paint still there then I continue to stop to shoot my bow for last 2 weeks. I still feel hurting there when I lift my elbow up 90 degree. That suck, my elk hunting trip on next 40 days

16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A visit to an ortho/physiologist early on may have been able to get you back in action earlier. Sometimes this is just some inflammation that cortisone can help clear up or a few exercises that may help.

Look for some shoulder rehab exercises and adding those into you routine as preventive maintenance will help.

Dialing the draw weight back temporarily also may help.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  17. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing a fast paced 4 mile walk 3 times a week M/W/F to get my stamina up for my long walks on public land for the season. Two weeks ago I added in some running a couple hundred yards at a time. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

I went out scouting thursdayfor a good 5 hours. I finallly figured out where I've been going wrong all of these years. (I missed a main travel corridor 50 yards in the thick nasty stuff) I've been hunting secondary travel routes all of these years...there are PLENTY of deer in those woods!

In order to get to this spot undetected, I knew what i had to do. I blazed my own trail, about 400 yards total. When I was half way through I realized "Holy SH!T!, I have the energy to do this!"

I thank my walking for having the stamina to complete the task! Now my back is sore....LOL!!

18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know Joe, that's the best part of getting in shape.........realizing what you really CAN do! Congrats on that discovery.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  19. Lovehunt11

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks WL. I think about it but I push back couple times, I had cortisone shot 2 time in the past I don’t know I will do again or not. I may call Doctor next week

20. Lovehunt11

Dislikes Received:
    My shoulder is 97% recover. I don’t think I need to see Doctor. I shot my bow good yesterday. Take easy on push up.