Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who's the lucky bistard sneeking up on that camel?

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmmmmm......there's a reason why somewhat usefull threads are getting locked lately.......anyone see the pattern?

I know I do.

3. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think He's on the Juice !

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, the article was mainly for people taking 10, 20 or 30 pills a day to get everything they think they need and then letting their diet suck. I should clarify that when I take the whey it would be right after running or working out in the evening, that is usually a hour or 2 before bed...bad choice of words before. On the flip side, I had a protein shake for breakfast today because that is when I worked out. Those are some good points you made up above. Alot of what I read promotes shakes since it is easier/faster (?) for your body to absorb liquids.

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can y’all keep the personal battles to the other threads. I’d prefer this one not get locked.
    Thanks.

Speaking of diet & supplements I’m kind of on the side of trying to eat the foods that contain the good nutrients. There are lots of different ways of thinking in regards to ones diet (and in this context I’m using “diet” as all the food a person eats, not a program for weight loss) Over the past year or so, and even more lately, we’ve made a shift to trying to eat as much whole foods as possible. Slowly cutting out processed items. I like food too much and don’t want to hit a grocery store daily, to ever think I could eat 100% whole, but I do feel so much better when I am eating this way as much as I can. It also seems much easier to keep from always being hungry even when eating fewer calories.

I’ve never been much of a supplements person, even back during my time of hardcore lifting & being surrounded by it. I think I tried one small bottle of creatine & that was about it. I tried the whey protein thing for a short time, but preferred to just eat a can of tuna here & there for my extra protein. My girlfriend has several bottles of stuff she takes daily, I sometimes take a multivitamin when I remember.

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I take protein (whey), if I've been training for over an hour. What I've "heard" is, it's best to take it within 20min. of your workout (3/1 mix w/ a carb)......then follow it up with a good meal about an hour later. So, after a long run or bike, I take a couple scoops with some 1% milk, and TRY to follow that up with a good meal.

Other than that, I take a multivitamin avg-ing about every other day.

Biggest thing I'm noticing is how I perform if: 1. I'm not hydrated, optimally 2. Nutrition isn't right

When you're on course (bike or running) for 1.5hrs or more, it's dramatic. Less than an hour, I don't notice it as much.

Ryan.....I was wondering how many 10+ mi, runs you got in, prior to your HM??? Did they get easier (on your body.....not your aerobic system)? My legs take a BEATING, currently. I think I've done 4 so far (including one run of the full dist).

Thanks.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The problem I've been having lately with my running is my right calf. More specifically I believe it is the soleus muscle. I am not having any troubles aerobically. I've been fitted for shoes at a running store and all that. If I run too much (distance or speed) the muscle knots up and I also feel weakness in my ankle. Currently I've had to back off running and focus more of elliptical, bike and swimming to get in my cardio, since none of these aggravate it. Trying to give the calf a break for a week to 10 days before I ease back into the running.

8. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    U
    Jeff, what you said has been preached to me for years by bodybuilders I have known. I take a shake post workout with skim milk and get the rest of my protein from lean meat. Recent studies have also shown that Whey products can be harmful. Another study recently advised that low fat chocolate milk yields better results for post workout drinks than whey.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GA....what's your weekly frequency/volume - running?

I had to learn (luckily, the easy way) that unless you're in the 20+MPW (some say a lot more), you really shouldn't be doing ANY "speed work".

Interesting (about the whey). Can you post a link to this? From what I've read, protein NOT used is simply flushed out of your system. I'd like to know more. If I'm taking something I can do without (and I take the whey for CONVENIENCE), I'm all for it. Like Ryan, I'd LOVE to just get all my protein, naturally. It's very inconvenient for me to do that.

10. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I was around 16 mpw before I backed off. I would work on speed 2 days (3 miles these days) and then work distance (5+ on these days) the other 2. I'm sure I increased both speed and distance too fast.

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    On the diet side of things. I can not seem to eat enough meat to get the protein in that I want to which is why i take the 3 whey and 2 casein shakes. My daily goals are carbs (whole grain carbs not sugars, etc) under 150g and my protein between 200-250g with my fat grams staying under 60. This puts my daily calorie intake between 1900-2400.

I started my workout/nutrition change on April 20 and weighed 233, this morning I was 198. :rock:

12. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    The chocolate milk study? Will need to later today when I am home and can use my laptop.

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GA.....I disagree (and I'll exlplain)....

You didn't progress your distance too much, unless you were going above +/- 10%/wk. IMO, you can do this without risk of injury. What will bite you, is introducing too hard an effort, too soon.

That's why I keep hearing.........run slower. It allows you to increase your volume with little risk to injury. In the end, the increased volume will make you faster (IF that's even your goal). If simply fitness is your goal, you probably don't ever need to concern yourself with speed.

Just chattering!

14. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I hear what you are saying. When my leg gets better I plan to go about it slower. My goals started out as simply fitness, but I have come to enjoy the running, biking and all. My goals has changed some to wanting to run in some 5Ks and 10Ks next year. Maybe even a sprint tri in 2012.

15. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could run a sprint tri, right now (barring your injury). Don't sell yourself short. I've still never run a stand alone running race. Never had the inclination. Now....if you want to COMPETE (not just participate), that's a totally different endeavor!.....lol I finished 54th out of 209 (or so) in my 1st tri.....and 90th out of about 400 in my 2nd (I think) That was good enough for 8/17 and 8/33 in my age group. If I were you and had ANY interest in running one, I'd look at one next year.....and early. They're a lot of fun.

16. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have no desire to compete now (maybe down the line I'd like to at least compete in my age group), my goal is simply to finish with a respectable time. What scares me about the tri (and the reason I put 2012 as the sprint tri goal) is the swimming. I've been looking around for a good swimming workout and think I found one at this site here with the routine being here.

17. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't checked out your links (yet). My advice would be for you to join your local masters swim club. It's not that expensive (mine is about $500/annually). That gives me a place to swim (gonna have to pay to swim, anyways) and gets me instruction.

I SUCK AT SWIMMING! I've put in enough pool time to be able to do the sprint distances with little to no practice between (I've got a sprint, Sunday, and I've swam 2X in 6 weeks). But, if I want to do longer distance courses, I'll have to up my practicing a lot. Right now, it interests me not. I plan to swim more, this winter.

Go do one for fun....and see what it's all about. What I think I wanna do is....do shorter course events and do them faster. I'd like to go <1:10 on the tri Sunday. Same dist. as my 1st 2 tris where I went 1:15:39 and 1:16:52.

Good luck....and have fun.

** Edit ** - I looked at that workout. If you can do 10X50's on 10sec. rest, now.....you can do a sprint tri. easily (IMO). Good luck.

18. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jeff, good luck to you too

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had 2, a 10 & a 12. I didn't notice too much difference they both s#cked. BUT I just rip off a 10 last weekend with out even blinking. That was the 1st I went over 7-8 miles since the HM itself. But I am also about 10# light than when I ran the HM.

Coming from a 100% speed back ground...I don't understand much of the "fear" that many training programs put out there regarding speedwork. A little common sense is all you need. Make sure you are COMPLETLY warmed up, don't do them back to back days, and don't try and over do it the 1st few times.
    For me speed workouts are the most fun, but unfortunately the most inconvenient cause I have to drive over to the track & now football, band & stuff is in so its crowded.

Re: Chocolate milk, I have read several places that its a GREAT drink after a workout.

My personal opinion for a casual runner that isnt completely new to running, is just run. If you feel good, go faster or longer. If you don't feel good go slower or shorter.
    If you are training for something, mix in easy short runs, easy long runs, short hard runs and speedwork. Everything has its purpose.

20. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/chocolate-milk-refuels-muscles-after-workout

This one has a lot of good info for increasing muscle mass
    http://www.ironmagazine.com/article283.html