Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1,000th comment. #drinkmorebeer

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished my first Spartan race last weekend. I was sore for about half a week. Can't wait to get after it again.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How do you train for a spartan?

4. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    When I trained, I did a lot of body weight exercises. Now that I've done one, I'll focus on climbing and grip strength to go along with body weight. Don't forget trail running and lots of burpees.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate burpees.

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I've come to love burpees. They are one of the only exercises that I've found that gives you a good sweat and can be done anywhere. I've had my boss catch me doing burpees before.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Evidently the lower levels they start huge groups and there is waiting lines at the obstacles? That would suck the starting and stopping.

8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    They sent us off if waves of roughly 250. The obstacles were spaced out enough and were big enough to accommodate multiple racers at a time. I don't think I waited mute than a couple of minutes on the last obstacle. All the other ones, I went and did (or started and did burpees on the traverse wall).

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    224 lbs after breakfast. That is an 11 lb drop over the last 4 months or so. If I can get down to about 215 that should knock out the rest of my fat and leave me at a good weight. I gave myself to January 1 to attain 215 so I think I can do it.

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of exercises are you doing?

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping this thread as I'm starting to get back into the exercise routine (preparing for a Mexico trip at the end of April).

Right now I am focusing strictly on cardio and a healthy diet... Next week I am starting weights. Do you guys have any suggestions on beginner routines that might help me out?

I'm 27 years old, 5'8", and 174lbs

For the last 2 weeks I've stayed with a strict diet of mixed vegetables and chicken breast for lunch... And supper/dinner. By no means am I burned out on the meal cause I love it, but it would be nice to get some other options in there. What can I make in bulk for the week of lunches/supper?

I don't really have any set goals as of now on how much weight I want to lose, but I know that I'm going to be doing cardio Monday-Friday. Today was my first day back in over a year if not more and I ran/walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes (varying my intensity from 4 to 10 (highest intensity of 12). Are the elliptical machines/stationary bikes better for burning fat?

Thanks in advance!

12. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to start as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've lost 10 pounds in three weeks. Atkins. I also had my first cross fit workout last night. Kicked my arse. Sore butt, quads, and pecs this morning. It's a good sore though. Plan to do two a week, and a Sat or Sun workout every other weekend. Gotta get in better shape. 203 this morning. I'll be 180 or less before Memorial Day.

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've dropped 15 lbs since start of the year from working out 4 days a week and healthier diet. I'm currently at my high school weight.

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've lost 22# since Christmas.

I think the best training is that which most closely will match or align to your (expected) hunting experience. For me, dropping some weight and building endurance were at the top of the list but I wanted a practical and relevant approach. I started with a pack with some weight and started hiking, increasing the weight every week or two. I'm up to about 60# and do 5-7 mile hikes just about daily. I also cut out most high GI carbs, sweets and way down on drinking (a savored Bear Republic 6 pack will be a reward for hitting an interim goal soon though :)). More strength and more cardio in addition to endurance are next my list (weights, sprints, more hills, etc).

Bowhunting best include some practice shooting with the bow (duh). But working on slow draws and let downs, longer and longer holds, shooting positions/angles, thru/around/over/under obstacles like limbs/brush might be things to work on. These are things I do anyway. This year I'll throw the Cardio into the mix. Run some distance to get the heat rate up then shoot 1 and iterate. I'll probably vary this with weight, distance (runs and shots) and hold times.

16. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kind of in the same situation, except we leave for Mexico on Friday. Three weeks ago my goal was to lose 5 pounds so I've been running for 30 minutes a day along with 30 minutes a day on the elliptical. I've been limiting my diet to 2000 cal a day before exercise so my net daily caloric intake it is about 1200.

You know what sucks? I haven't lost one damn pound. Granted I cheat a little on the weekends but nothing outrageous, it sucks after putting all that work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    You had to of gained muscle or something... Something doesn't add up.

Just guessing here... But I think I'm around 1000 calories a day, before working out. 2 chicken breasts and about 2 cups of mixed, roasted veggies. I'm to the point where I only feel somewhat hungry around noon and then 6pm.

You guys have any meal suggestions? What is your go to meal? Venison is out of the question... Because I suck at hunting.

18. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone from 230 down to 215 since November by watching my diet alone, I stalled out there though so I started shuffling around the hood yesterday.

I can't believe how much fitness I have lost in the past 5 years...I ran a marathon then but broke my leg badly later in the year, between operations and rehabbing it, running was not an option and I became sedate. Well, my leg is as good as it is going to get and I'm tired of being out of shape so I'm back to shuffling my feet. Ideally my goal is 190, but anything under 200 I will be happy with.

19. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should be eating something for breakfast too.

It is good that you are doing cardio but I would recommend adding some muscle building exercises as well. I have found that to be an even more effective way to burn fat as the body is constantly burning extra calories during the muscle recovery process. Exercises I like to do (all at home) include push-ups, pull-ups, military press with dumbbells, curls with dumbbells, squats with and without dumbbells, and lunges with and without dumbbells.

20. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have a yogurt and banana occasionally... I should probably add it to the routine now that you mention it.

I just got a gym membership so I'm looking for a routine of free weights. Thinking of doing the typical Back/Bicep, Chest/Triceps, and then Legs/Core Monday, Wednesday, Friday with cardio every day.