Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome Matt!

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

I may have missed it, but I'm assuming you don't need surgery? If so, that's awesome!

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So how much die the electroshock therapy hurt? Because that is the one obstacle that I would not be too excited about.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Made it through untouched.

My buddy, Dan, not so much:

[​IMG]

Everyone on the team but myself got hit on this one. They said it sucked. Locked him up in the picture above and he ate it.

It's at the end, and it's temporary. That's the way I looked at it. Just run fast. Hands up:D

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks cool. I am so much on the fence about TM's. Sometimes they seem neat sometimes they seem like work ;)

How are you liking the Paleo thing Brett? Seems like it is love it or hate it deal.

I'm pretty much in a holding pattern. Running & doing my body weight strength stuff. I have a 5k tomorrow that I don't expect to do that well in. I'm still figuring out if I am running another marathon next spring. I said no more, but my friend/running partner is thinking about it.

6. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt your lucky man those things hit pretty hard. It almost took me down lol

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Ryan, I would definitely recommend it. At NO point was I not having fun. I felt like a kid again.

Last, I was so pumped when I made it through untouched. I saw a lot of people get hit HARD. I believe every single person that says it hurt:D

I'm working on the video footage. I'll try to get it posted soon, but I'll make a new thread as I don't want to hijack too much of this one.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Ryan I like the paleo twist. I've basically just added more lean protein, fish, and nuts to my diet while trying to limit breads and sweets. I am not as hungry and can work a ten hour shift at work while eating one 500 calorie meal flanked by snacking on nuts, granola, and fruits. It has served me well and even at 38 I feel my metabolism feels better and has positively responded. I want to get down from 220 to 205 by the end of the year. My aging knee joints need a break and pretty much the only thing I can do to help in that regard is strengthen up my legs and drop weight.

Matt, no surgery as of yet. They think I initially stretched then tore my mcl which means I just need time and rehab to get back to full speed. The only thing I am worried about is I now have a history of tearing the mcl in my left knee as I have done it twice before. If I do it again I may push for them to go in and tighten it up. I also might just scratch running for the time being until I drop weight. Probably going to pick up biking in the meanwhile.

9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I went and signed up for a Tough Mudder, Aug 25th. A good friend (And missing legend of the forums) put together a team, so I went for it. A large part due to seeing how much fun Matt had and all his pics.
    So this puts me 8 weeks out. I'll keep up my normal workouts & runs, maybe throw in an extra longish trail run every other week. I expect to handle things fine.

I went to a gym the other day to see how my body weight work outs are holding up and get a gauge on my strength level. It's been 6+ years since I've touched a weight. Still benched 1.5x my body weight and almost my body weight in military press. 21 neutral grip pull ups, and 29 dips. Not bad for an old guy. I didnt max on squats becuase I figured the potential for pulling somethign was too high since I don't squat heavy. But doing 225 was not a big deal at all. I work more on my legs now than I ever have.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Ryan, good job man. Those numbers are very good. I am in the same boat as you, doing bodyweight stuff mainly and I really like it. Since I hurt my knee six weeks ago I reevaluated a lot of stuff. I improved my diet and have lost 5-6 pounds and bought a hybrid bike to take the pressure off my knees. I still plan on running hills once a week but I am not going to run miles on the pavement several times a week anymore. I am still 2-4 weeks out from getting back on the jiu jitsu mat. I've been off it for 6 weeks and it has been killing me.

Good luck in your Tough Mudder, sound awesome.

11. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Just been beasting in the gym. I'm almost to 300 lbs on the bench. Been killing everything else, running 3-5 mi every other day, and eating like a champ. I am right around 185 lbs 11-13% bfp. Got another thing like tough mudder coming up 7/20

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Restarting a running routine today. Feels like I'll be starting from scratch, but I need to get back into it.

13. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got away from running, but have been biking and walking as part of a challenge/competition at work. Averaging 14000 steps a day!

14. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
  15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it goes. Looks like fun.

16. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Starting on week 2 of Insanity today. Gonna be a wonderful time.

17. Workhorse

Workhorse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been doing well in Powerlifting...compete in a RAW drug tested federation and just squatted 501, benched 335 with a pause and deadlifted 617 for a provincial record.

18. jcartwright

jcartwright Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've gotta get back in my routine or this season's gonna kill me :eek:

19. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished the first twelve week program I've been on at the gym. I'm pretty happy with results, gained an inch on shoulders, a half inch on arms, half inch on chest, and half inch on thighs. Did my bench max yesterday with 305 (when I first started this workout program bench max was 245). Now I switch gears and start a shredding program to tone up for the next twelve weeks and maintain the strength I've built up. Whew!

20. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Done and done. Walk in the park. I smashed it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374351324.356327.jpg