Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I just saw this. My half is a week from today. I'm going to do a 10 tomorrow then take the rest of the week off.

Sounds like you are probably more prepared than most of the guys I know who's done the tough mudder. If they can finish it, it should be a breeze for you with all the training you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in really good shape right now minus the medial meniscus tear I more than likely have in my knee. I will be off full duty at work until I can get it squared away. I am not happy.

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks take it easy and get healed up. Im working on running more but my problem right now is a ingrown toenail on my big toe. Its a pain in the ***!

4. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I had one all fall and had it up until April because I didn't feel like getting it removed. I couldn't do much on my toes, running hard hurt like hell. I ended up getting an infection and having to take antibiotics. Save yourself the pain and get it removed.

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Rip it out and get meds. Those things are painful as heck.

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Use fingernail clipper and start a cut 1/16" away from the side with the ingrown nail. Then take pliers and pull at a 45 degree angle towards your heel, it will tear right out. I get them all the time, at least 3 or 4 a year.

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ill try it. I just recently started to get them but this one is pretty bad. Ive been able to use the clippers and pull them out but this one is just a little more difficult.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Two days away from Tough Mudder! Calling for near 90 degree heat for our start time, so it will be interesting. Just hydrating like crazy the past few days. Will be wearing a GoPro, so I'll have video footage sometime.

9. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man my buddy well be up there running it aswell

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Made it through and had a BLAST! Heat was definitely the equalizer on Saturday. Start time of 12:40PM with 90 degree heat and 53% humidity, and about 5% of the course had shade. Lots of vertical climb. I felt great the whole way, and made it through every obstacle with no problem. Lots of people were hurt and/or affected by the heat and dropping out left and right. One of our group members had to give some water from his hydration pack to a guy on a steep hill section that wasn't doing so good. He ended up getting carted out. We had to relay calls for medics several times on the course as well. In fact, they closed off 1.5 miles of the course shortly after we made it through due to the high heat and the vertical climbs. That meant some groups missed out on 4 obstacles (I wouldn't have been happy).

All in all, I'm happy with how we did. We had one guy really struggling. We were worried about his health, but he was persistent, so we took it easy. A few of us would run ahead occasionally (I couldn't keep walking since I feel better running), then stop and meet up with the others at an obstacle. We would take turns sticking with our guys in the back so no one was left behind. In the end, I didn't get to run the course as fast as I would like, but I was pumped we got everyone through. I will have way more pictures my wife took and of course my video in a week or two.

For now, after we crossed the finish line:

[​IMG]

11. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man !

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

12. MN_Jay

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a blast! I'd love to try one sometime. I've done the tough mudder but that was easy, I'd like to try something a little harder

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well...that's what we did:sad:

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Matt! Congrats on getting it done and hanging in with your whole team.

15. MN_Jay

Dislikes Received:
    Oops, I messed up there... Haha I meant a mudman

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Matt! You have any plans for other races or adventures? Or adventure races? lol!

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Ryan. I actually am tempted to do another one in the future. I was hoping to actually run the whole (or most of) the course, and wouldn't mind the opportunity to do so again. The obstacles (some were a little tricky), but in all honesty, not terribly difficult. The electric obstacles were the only ones that gave me some hesitation (but in the end were only temporary).

18. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done on the TM, Matt. I've been saying that I'm going to do one for several years now, but it never seems to work out. I have some friends doing the Austin TM next year. I'll see if I can make that one.

I have a charity 5k race this weekend, then a trail half marathon on June 22nd, and then our annual 4th of July 5k coming up. I have a large group of old college friends coming up to run the 4th of July 5k with me. Should be fun, although I'm horribly out of shape at the moment. I haven't ran consistently in about 2 months. I'm really dreading this trail half coming up, but it is a buddy's race, so I felt I should support him.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Still out of hard training due to an mcl tear. In the meanwhile I have modified my diet to more of a paleo diet and also been working hard on my core. Diet is not perfect but I imagine I am down 300 to 400 calories a day with healthy foods. Down about 3 lbs over the past month and I am not really able to do any cardio work. Excited as I get healed up.

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Probably my favorite shot of the event (that's me up front and my buddy in the blue). My wife took over 130 pictures with her phone. She was outside for 4+ hours in the heat/sun and walked probably over 4 miles back and forth between the obstacles just to support us.

[​IMG]