Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did a round of insanity and changed my diet for the wedding. We're about to do another round of insanity. In 60 days with that program I lost 37lbs (started at 200). I've continued to lose a little with holding to my diet, and I'm down to 159. I think second round of insanity will get rid of the last of my belly fat. That's all I got.

2. SOIL hunter

SOIL hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    one word:

Crossfit!

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Running my first mini-triathlon on Sep 21st. Most intimidated by the bike portion. I run 4-5 miles and swim 2.5 miles several times per week but I don't ride a bike much except a spinner at the gym and then I only go around 10-12 miles.

4. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Are you doing the sprint distance? If so, you'll be good to go!

5. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like 400 Swim, 12 Mile Bike, 5K Run. I did all three yesterday without much trouble. I do have to work more on my swim breath timing. What would be a good goal time for an old guy? I am thinking somewhere around 1 hr.?

6. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

1:00 - 1:15 depending upon how fast you are on the events and how your transition times are.

400 swim = 10 minutes
    T1 = 3 minutes
    Bike = 35 minutes
    T2 = 2 minutes
    Run = 20 minutes

Again, all varies on how fast you are. I'm slow on the run, so that's my downfall.

7. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Times separately:
    Swimming: I am going mid 1:20s per hundred with a front snorkel on a 4000. More like 1:30-1:40 without the snorkel on a 500. Shooting for under 6:00 if I can keep air..
    Running: 4 miles in about 30:00 on flat ground. I am hoping I can go maybe 22:00-23:00 on a 5K.
    Biking: 12 miles 34:00-35:00 range... at best... unless I get a lot of downhills. My worst part, especially with the run following the ride.

I've never done them all together before. Bike and run yesterday was around 50:00. I swam 4000 several hours later.

8. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    4000 or 400?

Couple things to remember though:

1) Open water swimming is different than pool swimming. You can't kick flip off the walls, you will have waves, wind and other people in the water. I've yet to see a 6:00 minute swim time on a sprint. Most fall in the 9-11 minute for good swimmers.

2) 35-40 minutes is about average for most people on the bike

3) Your run time should be good.

I think you are unrealistic in some of your times. Not trying to burst your bubble. But, look up different times and set realistic goals based upon them. The swim is the biggest dose of reality most people have. For the bike, keep your cadence around 90rpm most of the race and then the last little bit before transition, bring it close to 100 as it will help spin out some lactic acid.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    4000 snorkel on a 50 yard pool w/flip turns.
    500 without... I really struggle breathing without it... I have been working incrementally on more without the snorkel and less with. What I have been trying to concentrate on is my exhales... they have been too short which makes it hard to get a good inhale. I have been trying to start exhaling earlier and longer which seems to be working for me.

The swim is going to be in a pool... I get to keep the walls but I am not great there either and I think it may be a 25 pool. 16 lenghts seems like a lot of flipping.

I went 33:27 on the bike (w/no swim) this morning but was dying the last .5 or so and can't imagine running immediately following or going that speed following a hard swim.

No bubble for me... am looking for feedback concerning how to tie all the events together. My challenge is to just finish without being hospitalized. :lol:

10. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Okay... Just got back. I went 2000 w/out the snorkel a little under 35:00 but thought I was going to die before I found my rhythm around the 400. Got to figure out how to swim the first 400 like the last 1000 which was actually comfortable and enjoyable. Maybe a warm up swim but I don't think that is done.

11. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting that it's indoors. Wonder why?

As to breathing while swimming, breath every third stroke. Meaning, as your right arm comes out of the water, roll a little further and take a breath. Then, as the left arm comes out on the third stroke, inhale. you should exhale as you're swimming through the nose. There are some good instructional videos on YouTube if you do a search for them.

12. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Not indoors... just in a pool on an AF Base. Just finished going 4500, without the snorkel and felt pretty good. I am learning to relax and pace left right evenly which is helping a lot. I went right at 1:30.00 which seems pretty slow compared to the snorkel but I think I will be able to speed it up some as I get more comfortable with the flip turns, which I did on all my turns but dolphin kicked pretty short. Another week and I think I will have it back down.

13. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Am a fitness buff with Bum ankles from being in the Navy, so running is out....never much cared for it anyway. Swimming is great stuff, but it's a pain to go to the pool.

Woking mind/body training with kettlebells, clubbells, sand bags, pushup board and smith machine. For the past two months have given up the martial arts stuff to concentrate on fitness and archery practice. Can do the whole workout (including joint mobility training) in 30 minutes of non-stop movement. Working two or there sets of 10-20 repts.

Example: 10 min joint mobility warm up inspired by Scott Sonnon

Bench press 10X
    overhead rope pull down into a crunch X15
    Leg extensions X10
    Sit on bench, lift legs and pass kettlebell from one side to the other X20
    Double clubbell swing X10
    Double clubbell swing to full behind the back to a swing X10
    Double clubbell swing to alternating back lunge x 10 (grip is burning by this time)
    Sandbag clean and press with a bodyslam X10 (hurts but good)
    Kettlebell snatch X10 on each side
    Pullups Max out
    Kettlebell swings X20
    single Clubbell X10 Not sure what they are called
    Kettlebell or sand bag squats (usually beat to hell by the second set)

Have lots of great homemade eqipment in my garage gym if anyone is interested in see some. Sand bags are great training tools that you can make for a few bucks using contractor bags, tape, sand, and a seabag. The good thing about the sandbag is you can slam to to the ground and the offcenter weight and lack of handles makes for great grip training. Clubbells can also be made for a few bucks using fat wiffle ball bats, sand and tape. The clubbells really hit the "archery muscles" hard.

Favorite fitness gurus include: Scott Sonnon, Steve Maxwell and Steve Cotter. check these guys out on youtube and you won't be sorry. Mindbody means that movements require concentration to perform using muscle chains, as opposed to the isolation stuff body builders do. This is the kind of stuff that makes you farmer strong.

Anyway, we all want to continue to hunt as we age and IMHO, no fitness program should neglect low squats and pull ups for keeping the testosterone levels up.

Train hard...train safe.

14. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have found an interesting way to get a little extra exercise with my now hectic schedule because of school. I started walking the 1.5 miles from my office to the university for class. The 1.5 mile with 30ish lbs of books on my back and up a couple hills makes for a pretty good workout. Considering its 3 miles round trip not too shabby.

15. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Update... I survived the Triathlon... wahoo!

Okay I swam pretty well, though 8 lenghts in a pool with no lane ropes was total bedlam, punched in the nose twice, kicked in the head, goggles knocked off etc... No chance of getting my rhythm but I was still one of the first out. Then I hit the bike... I had a borrowed mountain bike against these guys who had 4000 dollar racing bikes... and they passed me like I was sitting still and they were barely pedaling. Then off the bike... spaghetti for legs, started the run in around 10th place. I caught and passed everyone I could see and ended up in 5th or 6th out of 117 with a time of 36:05. My goal was under 40:00. It was mostly for fun and was harder than I thought but I had a blast and can't wait to try another race. I am thinking X-terra looks cool and will let me be outdoors to boot. At either rate, the much younger guys riding the fancy bikes met me when I finished and said they were impressed at how well I did at almost 50 with the MB and several said they couldn't believe how much ground I made up on the run.

16. CajunTieDowns

CajunTieDowns Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to make it to the gym about 4-6 times a week. I usually do cardio 1-2 times a week. My little brother owns a nutrition, supplement and smoothie shop. So I get good deals on protein and pre workouts. Not currently taking any supplements but one of my friends just did a stack and gained almost 20 lbs.

Brandon T.
    www.cajuntiedowns.com

17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well this has been awhile...

Question: anyone a fan of kale? Smoothie form?

18. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been back on the jiu-jitsu mat for a couple of months. I might do that two times per week in addition a 1-2 runs per week and 2-3 strength training workouts per week. I am starting to get into good shape again and my jiu-jitsu is tightening up.

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    from Saturday morning

[​IMG]

20. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never liked kale, haven't tried it in a smoothie though. Swiss chard is really good to chop up & eat in a salad.

Nice job on the 20 Hooker, when's your marathon?

As for me, I've shifted to a more balanced workout plan. 2-3x runs, 2 strength workouts & a yoga workout per week. I'm getting into lots of body weight moves. There's an endless amount of creativity invovled.