Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    What is your 5k training indoors like right now? For one, as you guessed, running outside on natural terrain is different than elevation changes on a treadmill. Environmental differences aside, you need to be mixing speed work (intervals) with some more controlled pace building distance runs. In reality, it also depends on your goal for the race. If you just want to finish, slowly build your endurance under a comfortable pace (don't worry about splits, final time, etc.). Just get comfortable running longer distances. Don't overdo it. Use common sense and listen to your body.

I used to be able to run mid 17min 5k's in high school, but now 10yrs later, I could probably barely muster a sub 20min 5k, so take it for what it's worth :D

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try to find out where the course is and go run it a few times.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    bumpity bump

Phillips, weren't you suppose to run a marathon? Any updates on that?

After struggling with some ITBS for a couple of months, I was able to get back on the trails for a 10k trail race this Saturday in the wonderful 100 degree heat of a Louisiana summer. I ran a very uninspiring 51 minutes, but it was quite the hilly course, one of the hardest I've ran.

It was still fun though.

[​IMG]

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Hooker.

I have taken a break from the trail running here...it's too dang grown up and snaky. But we did go out to lowes the other night and I told my wife I was going to run back home, yeah that was a interesting facial expression. But I did, it was only 4 miles...hardly any of which is flat. It was a pretty cool experience I think that's a new thing I'm going to start doing, eventhough I despise people honking and waving.

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hook,
    What trail shoes do you run in? Many of my trails are rocky/root filled and running in VFF's kills the bottoms of my feet. The merril Trail gloves were INCERDIBLY comfy, but it didn't seem like they had much more protecion either. I still need to make a trip and try on some inov-8. They look decent. So for now I just run trails in my Kinvara's.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started trying to lose some weight. I was 297 at the start of the year. I have bad knees so running is out. If I walk to much I have to ice my knees for three days. I started doing the Body By VI shakes, and have started to drop some pounds. Now I get on my bike and ride 4 or 5 mile everyday. So far I am down to 270.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    :sad:I was suppose to run a marathon. I started but was not able to finish. I had been struggling with some knee discomfort during training and it flared up around mile 13. I went a couple more and then shut it down. I have not ran since (2 weeks now) to let the knee heal up good. I will be picking it up again in another couple weeks. I'm going to shoot for this race again next year, if I am not to busy with school. I will finish a marathon before it is all said and done.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Phillip, injuries can strike anyone. Hope the knee heals up.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either the NB Minimus Trail or for more rocky/technical trails, I still run in my Brooks Cascadia 4s.

10. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I walk and walk and walk. Arthritis prevents running and other physical ailments keep me from doing a lot of what I want to do. I'm up to a couple miles daily of up and down hills.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I workout 3-5 days a week. I do cardio in the morning and weight training in the evenings. All that training helps a lot when dragging a deer through the woods and carrying gear to and from your stand.

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    With my limited time now that I have started school it has proven difficult to get into the gym to lift with any regularity. So I have decided to give P90X a go since I can do it first thing in the morning before heading off to work or school. I've heard great things about it from the people I know that have done it. Started it this morning and I'm excited to see how it works for me.

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you follow the meal plan along with the exercise program, you will not be disappointed.

14. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I've been told, I'm all in for (at least) the next 90 days to see how it works.

15. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck Phillip, are you participating in the Peachtree tomorrow? The wife and I are doing our first race together. She finally got over the hump from having our babies and we are a team again. I am very excited, no care for time just taking a 10K jog with the wife.

16. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Michael I do not currently have any races scheduled. I had a little knee issue pop up during my marathon. It just got back to normal recently so I just picked back up the running after several weeks off.

17. ken3

ken3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am running my first 5k this evening at 7:30.

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck ken!

19. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    anyone ever throw on a weight vest or backpack while working out? im sure some of the elk/sheep/goat etc'ers do. i just started and feel like i get more bang for my sweat!

20. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have hiked hills & trails with a weighted pack in prep for elk. Regular running just didnt build the leg strength I wanted.