Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an adventure Hook, way to finish. :tu: You now have me worried about my marathon though. :lol: Mine is at the end of May and I've never even sniffed the distance. So far in my training I've gotten to 14 miles and should hit 24 sometime in April.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a fantastic medal. Any chance you can have that show up in random pics throughout the year?

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Question...what do you do the week/days/day before leading up to a race? Food, training, etc.

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the race

For 5k or 10k, I really don't do anything different. I might not run for a few days before, and I always try to eat clean the day before a race, but you don't need to "carb load" for those distances.

Half or full marathon, and I'm tapering the week before. Really reduce my mileage, eating clean all week, and eating clean carbs or easily digestible foods the day before.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just stay within yourself. I was feeling so good, and I made the decision to go for a PR. It turned out to be a mistake. I guess the hills got me.

For you first marathon, just find your pace group, and stay with them, even if it seems they are going really slow in the beginning.

6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wells it's time to get back into shape. I have put on 13 pounds since elk season got over... may not sound like much, but I'm a smaller guy.

Ran three hard miles yesterday to start. I have no problem pushing through the "wall" and ended up running myself sick. Hurting today.

Looking for a total diet and ethic change here. I want to be in the best shape I can for elk. I usually enjoy workouts that physically drain me, I want to go out fighting. I want a hardcore endurance workout that will literally kick my ***. Generally speaking I train mostly cardio while supplementing that with punishing cross training.

Cross training usually consists of:
    100 yard sprint to bow
    Bear hug Merell Supreme Bag (40ish #'s) and carry/sprint out to 50 yards
    Sprint back to bow
    15 Push-ups
    Shoot bow at bag target
    Repeat until I puke.

I will be checking back here often for help and tips. I want to enhance my workout as I'm sure I could be more efficient. Also looking for helpful tips on diet and portion control.

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its a 7 mile trail race with elevation gain of around 3000'.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reduce your mileage and eat clean. Run an easy mile or 2 the day before to keep your legs fresh.

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok just got home from my first trail race...7 miles 2770' elevation gain, time of 124 minutes. After all of that i was actually mad i didnt break the 2 hour mark. Ill try to get some pics up when I get them....I forgot my camera. Oh and im dead right now!!

Just before the race. The peak to the right is where we went.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  10. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a brutal elevation gain. Good job!
    I've got my 1st 20 of this training cycle inthe morning.

11. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did this thread make it to the 17th page? This past Saturday was the annual Riverbank Run in Grand Rapids. It was the 35th year of the event. Its a pretty fun event and one I enjoy participating in, especially with my daughter. At age 7, this was her 3rd Riverbank Run. There were over 21,000 runners with an estimated 50,000 spectators. My daughter continues to improve on her 5k times with each run. She came in at 34:43 Saturday. Running 5ks with her is absolutely my favorite form of exercise. She's beginning to ask/talk about 10ks. She better talk to her Mom.

[​IMG]

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent the past 5 years on Dr's orders not to run or strain to keep my my eye pressure under control. I have a rare form of glaucoma that is aggravated by exercise. I finally got the okay recently to exercise and am now doing 15-20 miles per week. I also spend 3 hours per week on an eliptical machine, stairmaster and circuit weight training as well as medicine ball training. I swim in the summer around 1500 meters per day and will begin training with the Masters Swimming League beginning this fall, barring injuries or illness.

A while back, I stopped eating garbage. No Cokes, Cakes, Fries or Fatty Dairy products. I easily dropped the first 25 pounds but have stabilized at 190 (I am 6'2"). I would like to get another 10 pounds off but am going to have to work it off. Being healthy and fit is my goal, not weight loss.

13. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because we have gotten lazy? Congrats to you and your daughter...that's a good time.

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Vito! 1. That's great she's really taking to running races. That has to be a blast for you both
    And 2.I'm so glad that you dug this up, it's the only reason I haven't posted about my marathon.

Although it started cool in the morning, waiting around for the race to start, with clear blue skies it got hot quick. Here is me pre-race

[​IMG]

I wanted to go out conservative and try to run the second half faster. Before the 1st mile was up with the early morning sun already beating down, I knew that was out the door. So I figured I would work to a comfortable pace and attempt to carry that to the finish. 1st half I was strong and right on time, not too fast. About mile 15 still feeling great, but really noticing the heat & the shirt came off. The whole race I was drinking water & tossing it on my head.
    Mile 22 is where the heat finally broke me down and I walked a good bit. That rest stop I slammed several cups of water fearing dehydration. Picked it back up the next 2 miles, and when I realized I had a huge cushion to stroll in under 4 hours, I backed off my last 2 miles again to finish in "comfort" if that is even possible at the end of 26.2 miles.

Here I am closing in on the finish

[​IMG]

And here's me after about an hour in the shade and who knows how much fluids I downed.

[​IMG]

My official time was 3:56:16. This is my last marathon for a while, if not ever. I felt great, but the heat got to me at the end, but I finished under 4 nad beat last year by 5 minutes even though I eased up more than I had to the last 2 miles.

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!

16. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, Ryan. I have much respect for anyone that completes a marathon.

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, Ryan! It was neat to see your live time updates on Facebook the day of the race. No way I could ever complete a marathon.

18. ken3

ken3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a beginner runner. I am on week 6 of a 8 week couch to 5k treadmill training schedule. I know it is different running outside. So my question is after I finish this training, what should I do to get used to running outside so I can run my first 5k on July 13th?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  19. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Run outside.

Glad I could help.

20. ken3

ken3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Gee thanks