Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, PT. I found running to be MUCH more enjoyable, once I hit 20mpw.

Keep it up! Your results are awesome.

2. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Did you hit the lottery brotha?

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ran some hills with my son tonight. After he got tired I carried him on my back and ran another 4-5, 100 yard hills. I finished the running workout off with a bunch of jumping jacks and some light plyo work. I worked out like crazy at the beach this past week. I finally fit in size 34 shorts today for the first time in 5-6 years. Not bad for someone that weighs 215 lbs. The weird thing is my weight has not even changed in the past two weeks, yet my waist is smaller.

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't lost or gained a pound in 4 mos. Brett. I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you at 215# - sportin' 34's.

5. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not weird at all, the same thing happened to me over the last four months.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you but I need to drop some weight to keep my joint stiffness/pain at a minimum. That is my main concern. I need to slightly modify my diet by a few hundred calories per day to drop the next 5+ pounds I need off over the next couple of months.

7. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Brett, you know I am big mofo... With my fairly high levels of PT, I had to keep my diet at about 1500-1800 cals a day to realize weight loss. This is my every six month game I play with the Marine Corps to get down to my allowable weight.

I busted my plan last night...pulled pork and chips at Chili's and we didn't eat until 2000. Bad me.

Scored a new/used 93 Bronco last night that will become the backstrap express after some serious TLC application, had to go to Vienna to pick it up. Late night.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Sean, I am starting to realize I need to be down to around 2K calories a day to make a dent. Any time I begin to exercise seriously my body begins to respond like it always has, laying on muscle. My appetite also starts increasing and so does my desire to train harder. Therefore I always seem to gain weight when I am working out hard. I need to start eating foods that fill me up and are low in calories. Any suggestions?

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2000K cal's???? That's a dream!....lol.

I don't even wanna count mine up. On the other hand, I burned 1,632cal's exercising, today. I eat everything in sight.

10. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,

I gotta know, what did you do to burn 1,600 calories?

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20.77mi. on the bike.

5.85mi. running.

12. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What I do Brett is small calculated meals every 2 hours... Its been hard with work lately, but I always have a 200 - 300 cal meal or protein bar or whatever and I eat every 2 hours starting at 0800...

I PT in the morning so my metabolism is up along with my hunger, but if you control your appetite throughout the day, you find you can be satisfied and still mange to lose.

I think I also about 10 years older then you if I remember correctly...and job stress lately is kicking my butt. I have this down to almost a science.

13. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Eating small meals throughout the day is a great way to keep the metabolism going. I start at 0430 and eat every three to four hours. Being back into heavy weight training I am hitting about 8 ounces of chicken or lean beef withbfresh fruit or veggies every meal with a tapering of carbs later in the day. My workout time is usually from 1530 to 1730. In the last few months have lost four inches in my waist but weigh about five pounds more than when I started training again. I am toning it way down over the next 60 days to get leaner for hunting season though.

A killer way to burn a lot of calories in the gym is either heavy resistance on bikes or 15 degree incline on the treadmill for 30 to 45 minutes at a fast walking pace. Both are easy on the joints and can burn a lot of calories. At my weight I can burn 450 to 550 calories in a half hour on the treadmill alone.

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is your weight/height? How fast are you moving on the treadmill?

5.85mi. (@ 190#'s) on a 9:09min./mi. pace is 729cal. (that's 53:32), for me. Interested in your weight.height.....and how you're figuring that amount of calories burned.

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those calorie counters on treadmills/ellipticals have been proven to overestimate used calories by up to 45%. I wouldn't trust them.

A general rule is running 1 mile in 8 minutes will burn 100 calories, and that's not a treadmill either.

And I guess I just don't have a large appetite, because I struggle getting 2,000 calories a day. I eat 6 "meals" a day, all about 200-300 calories.

16. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    A 250 pound person will burn more calories than a 150 pound person. The incline also boosts the calories burned versus walking on level or low grade. What I posted was from a treadmill that is not factoring weight and based on 3.6-4.0 mph.

17. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has to factor "a" weight.

My only point was along the lines of what Hook posted. Treadmill users/mfr's are notorious for 2 things:

1. Over-stating calories burned
    2. Being calibrated, incorrectly.

But, there's NO WAY even a 250# man is burning anywhere CLOSE to 500cal. in a 1/2 hour - on a treadmill......at speeds of +/- 3.8mph. That's 250+cal./mi. (with the benefit of the doubt factor in there).

Not happening. I'm not saying this to show you up. I'm hoping you see it and do your own research.....so you don't think you're working out - not losing weight - and you wonder "why?".

18. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I completely understand that

I just find that most people that struggle losing weight are overestimating the amount of calories they are burning while exercising, and underestimating the amount of calories they are intaking per day.

I recently got in an argument with a co-worker who tried to tell me that a turkey sandwich on white bread, with cheese and mayo was only 250 calories. I had to show him that the 2 pieces of white bread alone were 250 calories.

19. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need to get my ass back in gear, I have no excuses but man I use to get up before school and workout and now it's hard to find time with my work schedule and trying to do the things I enjoy doing. It will come back around soon.

20. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I have used. WWW.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp as a tool to calculate this in the past based on my "fat ass" as you quoted in a recent pm to me. Using a 15% incline with a 20 minute mile will yield a 556 calorie burn. Perhaps they are wrong Jeff but that is where my "fat ass" got it from.