Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trail running shoes question...

Anyone know or suggestions/recomendations...ive been looking at the asic gel-trail 7.

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brooks Cascadia or NB Minimus Trail have always been my favorites.

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer Brooks running shoes personally, they feel best to me.

4. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoe recommendations are a hard thing to give. Especially when you get down to specific models because what is a great shoe for one person can be totally wrong for another.
    My next pair of trail shoes will probably be the NB minimus trail, or the X-talon from Inov-8

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly right. It's a lot like buying a bow. You have to get what feels best to you. I love the feel of Brooks shoes, however when I took my wife in to get running shoes she liked the Nike's better.

6. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK slackers, spring is coming, I know some of you have races coming up? Where do you stand?

Others might just trying to be getting ready for summer

I have a half marathon end of march & a full the beginning of may. I've been running more & faster this training cycle, while feeling stronger and fresher. I'm looking forward to my 2 races.

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trail race on st. Patricks day, but ill have to see how my limited training goes with baseball in full swing. I hope i can be ready.

8. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still a gym rat, currently on my cut phase...Was seeing really good gains on my bulk, but I know turkey season would kill it anyway, so off the creatine, animal paks and several other sups...everything else stays the same except I will add 3 extra cardio sessions throughout the week, weights and meals stay the same as well. I really want to do a mud run, spartan race etc...but just never get around to it. half and full marathon are on the bucket list

9. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My only scheduled races are a 15K in mid April and a Trail Marathon end of May. Other than training for those races, I'm in the gym 5 days a week lifting.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Little Rock marathon next weekend, so I'm just enjoying my taper right now.

11. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A couple 5ks coming up in March that I run with my daughter. She has yet to beat me. She would do better if she wasn't trying to waive at family near the finish.

Winning!

[​IMG]

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy your taper Hook & good luck in the race!

Matt, awesome to see the daughter involved so young. Before you know it, she'll be beating you & never look back.

13. rockadj27

rockadj27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did a 5K in mid January and have an 8K scheduled in March. Will do more 5Ks and possibly a 10K this year.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Getting back into linebacker mode. For the past year and a half I had been working out hard doing stuff that put a lot of stress on my joints.....lots of push-ups, situps, distance running, fighting, and a lot more. I developed some lingering injuries as a result and needed to rest, so last month I started shortening my workouts and slowly increasing the weight lifting, sprinting, plyometrics, and intensity. My body is starting to feel strong again and I can see myself weighing a healthy 220 here in the next two to three months. I am still running a couple of miles twice a week, but I am not going to running distance for much of a duration or distance due to my joint health and what I need to do to preserve it over the next decade or so.

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Well I took off Mon - Thursday letting my right elbow heal. Dont know what happened yet just feels inflamed. It might be from an Injury 2 years ago when I was using a valve wrench, slipped off and busted my elbow. It felt like a few bone floaties were in ther after that but didnt effect lifting at all. Last Friday just before bed it was like someone hit a switch, I felt a sharp pain and its been bothering me since. I did go in for leg day today and got that in. I was just getting ready to complete my 1,000 lb club this week to, Bench, squat and deads :( Im there but cant complete it. Feels good being there considering I dont power lift. Just 6 years of slow change.
    I have a Bow shoot Sunday but dont know If ill be able. If not, its off to a doc to get it looked at. Iubeprofin for now! Down a little on the weight also. Was standing at 212 but I was down to 207 this morning, looking for 195 around summer!

16. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I completed the Little Rock Marathon yesterday morning. It was quite the frustrating race. The race started at a nice temp of 35 degrees, and from the start, I felt great. I ran the first half in 1:43. One of my fastest half times, much less marathon time. I was feeling awesome. The bands were playing around every corner. Large crowds cheering. I was running with a great group. All was well. I tackled the notoriously hilly stretch of miles 14 through 18 easily. I was cruising to my best marathon time. I ran the first 20 in 2:47. Then around mile 21, my legs just completely blew up. I don't know if it was the hills, or the heat, as it did warm up to about 80 degrees at this time, and the last 10k was in direct heat with no shade, but the cramps began, and they did not stop. I had to walk most of the last 4 miles, and I limped in for a time of around 4:05. It was amazing how I went from the running the best race of my life, to pure misery in a matter of minutes. Frustrating.

A few pics:

Waiting on the start with the wife

[​IMG]

People were really confused with my name, so much so, that the guy announcing the finishers did not say my name as I crossed the finish. He just looked at me and said "Oh..cute." Bastard.

[​IMG]

Clearing the pack at the start.

[​IMG]

I was in pure misery at this point. I was basically dragging my right leg to the finish.

[​IMG]

But I finished. And was rewarded with a giant *** medal.

[​IMG]

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Hooker, medal deserved! Well almost 3 weeks later Im still having elbow issues. Had an Exray but Doc sent me for an MRI Sat. That was the worst straight pain I have ever felt for 45 minutes straight. I cant straighten my elbow all the way cause the Doc thinks a bone chip has slipped between my joint. The MRI had me in a position trying to straighten my arm with a sand bag holding it in place. I was soaked in sweat and in serious pain before I got out of it. If its what he thinks Ill have to havs some surgery on it to remove it. I find out Thursday the results!

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to finish man, the marathon wall is a nasty, nasty beast. That is one big *** finisher medal.

19. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats hooker...2 weeks till first trail race.

20. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congrats hooker! I am trying to get my self in shape. I have to as i plan on joining th national gaurd.