Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've started trail running....it's been pretty intense so far. Living in the mountains makes the up the trial part a butt kicker. I have always played sports and hated running, but this trail running stuff in the woods is somewhat addictive...I did 4.48 miles today with an elevation gain of around 1700 feet.

2. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still running. put in 10 miles yesterday morning. Soon my "official" training program will start for my marathon on May 6th.

One of the things I need to do during this year's training is keep up my strength training better so I don't lose any more muscle mass. I'm gotten as "small" as I want to get.

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've signed up to run a trail marathon on May 19th. It'll be my first one. I ran the half last year.

4. rockadj27

rockadj27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be participating in a 5K road race on Saturday. Temp should be between 19-24 degrees with a 12mph wind :p

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad this thread is back.

Need. Motivation.

6. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Monday, Wednesday, Fridays = Bike minimum 10 miles.

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = Strength training (free weights, usually)

Sundays = Church

I shoot my bow in the back yard nearly ever day, as well.

7. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Double post

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Guy at work today tried to talk me into going to a tough mudder with him,,,just not my bag of tricks! Still hittin the weights hard though!

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you mention that Dan... you may have seen me post elsewhere that I had committed to one of those with a buddy. Unfortunately, the date falls right in the middle of my trip to Colorado chasing elk... so it's a no-go on the Tough Mudder this year, but I bet I'll be in better shape than the group of guys I know who's going to tackle it. ;)

10. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lil lady im close to wanted to do a tough mudder contest and i think i turned her away from it cause the whole idea was thought up by a british special forces guy. think i said something like, "their sp forces couldnt touch our units and why would you wanna do something like that?" im soooooooo dumb and ignorant! was prob hanging out with my buddies the night before or something or reliving my "glory days." watched a special on the guy and the event and now i wished she woulda done it... did i mention what an ignorant statement that was??? anything to challenge ones self and physically get yourslef better... why bash any of it. i still feel terrible. rant over..... hope you do the mudder challenge and kick a$$!!!!!!!! have fun, it looks like a blast!

11. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice admission, isaiah.... sometimes, that's a hard thing to admit (that we MAY have been wrong, LOL).

I like this sentence:

Most on here know I utlize P90X workouts to stay in shape, (as well as train in martial arts) but that's not the point... I could care less if you're doing P90X, Crossfit, Rushfit or some hodgepodge of ideas gleaned from Men's Fitness and Shape magazine; you're exactly right: Do SOMETHING.

12. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    does that mean i have to tell her, or can i let her just read my post on her own???? haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no i hear ya. the older i get (not that old, but my body says so) the more i have to have a variety of things to do. cardio used to be fine just running. some mornings i have to split it up 4 different machines.... 15 on treadmil, 15 stepper, 15 bike and 15 elipitcal. geeeeeeeeeez

13. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I'm getting back into working out again after a pretty crappy lazy attempt last year haha. I just have a couple questions for you guys. I'm going to be lifting as well along with all the cardio that I plan on doing, and I really don't know much about supplements. I'm thinking about using some kind of whey protein to aid in my lifting process and speed up muscle repair. However, that will probably hinder my weight loss won't it? My main question is, should I focus on my weight loss goal first before I begin taking protein to help with gaining muscle mass? Also, does anyone have any protein powder recommendations that are reasonably priced?

One more thing... should I be lifting every day or every other day?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  14. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey bud, first i would have to ask you a couple of questions, is your plan to get big or to get skinnier? im going to imagine you'll say both, so.. here's my .02, to build muscle as quickly and efficiently as possible you need to have a solid lifting routine as well as rest, but the main thing that people slack on is their diet. To see the muscle gains you want, you need to be taking in 2500 to 3000 good calories a day. that being said, its usually easier to lower your calories to the point where you are still fueling your body but creating a deficit by working out so that your body begins to fuel itself with your fat stores, bottom line its a lot harder to loose a lot of fat and gain a lot of muscle at the same time. if you feel you have a lot of fat to loose my opinion would be do cardio and high intensity interval training 5 to 6 days a week until you're at a weight that you want then begin a muscle gaining routine. here is what i am currently doing to gain muscle, most would call this a "bulking up" routine.

Monday- Lower Back & Hamstrings
    Tuesday- Chest & shoulders
    Wednesday- Upper Back
    Thursday- Rest
    Friday- Legs(Quads & Calfs)
    Saturday- Biceps & Triceps
    Sunday- Rest

Thats what im doing right now, if you want the actual exercises and sets/reps just let me know, i can also give you my meal plan if you want. As far as your question of lifting everyday or every other day, i would go at least every other day to begin with, doing each muscle group only one time a week, then just see how your body feels after a few weeks and you will most likely be able to turn up the frequency and intensity. As far as supps go idk if you already do but a multi vitamin is a must have and i personally use optimum nutrition's Gold Standard 100% whey protein. optimum nutrition has been around for a while and their Gold standard Line of stuff has been the top rated and awarded stuff for as long as i can remember, also well priced too. And supplementing with a little bit of protein isn't going to set your weight loss goals back anything noticeable. Hopefully this helped some and i didn't venture too far off into left field. lol -Alex

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not bad for a Sunday morning jog

[​IMG]

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice sir!
    I still have about 8 weeks before my next 20.

17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow...nice

18. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work Hook!! In my marathon training, I have my first 20 miler scheduled for March 30.

19. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thought you runners might enjoy this. Sounds like my wife and her nerd running friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Matt I love the addition to your signature, well played sir!