Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'd enjoy cycling more if I could find a two-foot diameter padded seat to go on my bike...

2. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cycling shorts help alot. I have had numerous orthopedic injuries the bike has really helped me get in shape. I enjoy it. I have a century ride at he end of August to benefit the Honor Flight, I need to kick it in to gear.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, I just bet that cycling will really help you stay active and healthy, without the pain. I was prescribed some Voltaren cream for my knee yesterday. I used it twice. I had a decent running workout this morning at sun-up. It gives me some hope I can turn this thing around in the next 8 days.

4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Did something different today. I sucked it up and went down to a professional running store to have my gait analyzed. I jumped on a treadmill and they videod my running gait. My left foot was only slightly pronating. My injured right leg was almost neutral. I am an idiot and purchased big time pronater shoes a month ago because I thought my plantar fasciitis and knee pain were being caused my excessive pronation. Boy was I dead wrong. I bet I contributed to my own knee problems because of those shoes. I am pretty much a neutral runner. He said I have high arches and that my right foot is a little less than a half size bigger than my left foot. I was all out of whack! I left there with two pairs of very mild stability shoes at size 11.5(never would have thought to have shoes that big--been 10.5-11) so I can alternate each day. The trip down to that store was well worth the effort and money. I am excited to be back on the right track.

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Well after a year of hard work, I am finally tapering down this week in anticipation of some real tough workouts either starting on Friday of this week or Monday of the following week. It has been one hell of month and half with plantar fasciitis, a knee injury, and just recently a mild groin strain. It is funny how your body works together and when a key part fails, others follow. I had not been injured the first 11 months of my training, yet over the past 6 weeks I have been on injured reserve, just limping by, trying to maintain the good conditioning base I have built up. So now, it is time to put up my feet and let my body heal up so I don't hurt so much. All my workouts will be cut in half over the next week in intensity and duration. My aging/beat up body needs it bad.

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good post, Brett... I'm training for my first 5K to be held in four weeks, and my aging body is feeling the effects of all I've been doing as well. :)

I ran tonight and just after the first-mile mark felt something tighten in my left calf; I knew well enough to stop and I turned around and walked home. Sucks... hopefully back at it in a few days with some good heat and lots of stretching.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Going out Saturday for my first run in 2 weeks. Found out my knee problem was a grade 1 sprain of the LCL. Doc told me to rest, ice and take NSAID. Doc gave a 2 week estimate before easing back into the runs. So Saturday going out to run and will base my distance on how I feel. I'd like to get in at least 6, but aiming for 8. We'll see how it goes.

Also on the weight lifting front, next week I will be switching up the routine and how I've been lifting. I have been doing a lighter weight with more reps, but have decided to switch gears a little and shift to a heavier weight less rep routine for a while.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope the run goes good Phillip

I have a 25K trail race in the morning. We'll see how it goes. I have no real time goal, as I don't know how tough the course will be. If I can place in my age group I'll be happy.

9. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This summer I've been taking a break. I know I realy shouldn't have but I'm still riding my bike once a week more then 10 miles, Lifting once every 2 weeks. When school comes back around I'm gonna lift and run everyday after school until the season comes around. Then every other day I'll be lifting and running. Hope to get back up to my weights since I've been not oing as much as usual.

Does anybody know good bicep/shoulder and ab workouts? My usual ones are getting boring and too much muscle memory.

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know what, screw this heat. I mean really 3 hole crunch this heat till it cries, then just beat it till it shuts up.

How am I supposed to train for a 50k in this weather? 83 degrees at 5:30 am, with some ungodly humidity is just ridiculous. Within 30 minutes of my run, my shoes, short, shirts and headband is soaked. Sweat is constantly flowing into my eyes, my eyes are burning, thus I keep them barely open, which is great for running on trails. I can't wipe my damn face because my damn shirt is soaked. You can't carry enough water. You can't breathe because the humidity is suffocating you. It's absurd. Screw this. I'm going to maintain my current level of endurance and run the half marathon, then train for a 50k that is during the spring.

I tried 15 miles this morning, and as you can tell, it did not go very well.

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is why I've all but given up trying for a fall marathon. This heat is terrible, and I don't even have the conditions you dealt with.

My 25K was pretty interesting. I finsihed 10th overall, granted it really wasn't that big a race, but I am really pleased with that. The 1st 15K was nice, fun actually, I almost finished out at that distance.(would have been 5th overall) But I figure, what's 6.2 more miles, I'm feeling good. Well the last 10K for those dumb enough or crazy enough to continue on was evil, pure evil. I'm talking cruel & unusual punishment. The hills were as steep as any here in PA. But I finished it out, didn't pass or get passed during that section and came home strong to finish 10th.

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well it didn't go so well Saturday. 1.5 mile and knee pain. This is getting old. I am fine on the elliptical or bike, but the pounding of running hurts that LCL. Guess its at least another week off from running while trying to heal this knee. I have a half marathon in Nov, this thing needs to heal up so I can get to training!

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well went to the doc after the above post (2 weeks ago) and found out that it was not my LCL and that it was ITBS. Doc prescribed me an anti-inflammatory drug and told me to take 4 more weeks off, which would put my time out as 6 weeks. He told me I could continue the elliptical work for exercise as long as it did not irritate the ITBS. Well the knee has been feeling great (4 weeks off) so I thought I'd give it a little go today at lunch. Ran over to the gym to workout my back and core then ran back to the office (1 mile total) and the knee feels great. Going to go out in the morning and run 3 miles to see how it goes. I won't be worrying too much about time tomorrow, just want to ease into a little longer distance.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Phillip, I am sorry to hear of your knee pain. Your ITBS will calm down and you will heal up great. I have been dealing with a groin strain for the past two weeks as a result of my left leg picking up the slack for my right knee. Ughhhh. But I have not missed any academy training and have gutted out the pain.

Good luck guys.

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    4.36 miles this morning and felt great. Going to ease back into a full week of running next week. Gunning for a 12 mile week, just for a good test week to see where the knee is at.

16. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have now developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot.

This blows.

17. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been off since Ironman but think I need to get back to training now. Planning a 60 mile bike ride in the morning. Should be a good day for it!
    Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

18. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having trouble trying to find a balance between hunting and running. I'm down to 4 days a week with no long run. I'll either figure it out or pick it back up full force after season ends.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see this brought back up

Sorry to hear that Hooker, hope it goes away soon.

Like Phillip, my balance between running & hunting gets a little lop sided this time of year. But due to my work schedule limiting my after work hunts here in a bit, I will still get those runs in, and maybe the occasional long run. We'll see.

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, that sucks. I am a 10 year survivor. Not sure how bad your's is, but mine sucks pretty bad. Good thing is its only when I'm active. It was terrible in the beginning. Hurt like hell laying in bed, but that part got better and I don't have to wear one of those sucky boots.

Still, I can't run or play basketball these days. Just started physical therapy last week. Hope it helps. Riding a road bike, while fun, gets a little old...and it will be snowing here soon enough.