Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, I almost died yesterday.

I decided to take a nice, leisurely, 9 mile run yesterday afternoon. At 5:30 pm. In 105 degree heat. With no water.

Not my smartest moment in life. I started to get dizzy the last mile and had to stop and walk back home. When I got home, I chugged 1.5 liters of water, then got sick, but did not vomit. I felt like I needed to though. I then ate a bag of salty chips.

This heat is making me rethink the November 50k and wait for a long distance run next spring. I'm not really looking forward to long training runs in August and September...

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember when Mariusz Pudzianowski showed up and everyone said he wasn't going to be able to compete in 2000. Then he came back in 2002 and won the whole thing.

3. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It amazes me sometimes how precarious the tipping point between being fine and getting sick can be.

4. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's always getting up before sunup before your training runs...

Nah. Skip the race.

:D

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Thanks Greg, I will look it up. That stuff inspires me to workout to near death. Love it.

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hook, I know you're excited about the unlimited miller lite and country music, but c'mon, you're smarter than that.

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That's rough. I ran a 6 mile trail run on tuesday at 90 degree heat with 20 oz of water and I know how bad that dehydrated me.

Just be smarter about your runs, go for the 50! :poke:

8. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I had a similar situation. I ran 5 yesterday downtown during my lunch break with 20 oz and it was all gone with a mile to go. I felt horrible when I got back to the office. Temps have been between 95-100 for about 2 weeks straight here. Temps were 96 during my run. I've been trying to keep my runs early but every once in a while I have to get it in at lunch.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime the temps rise, one should hydrate to the point where their stomach feels sloshy prior to running. If not, one risks being severely dehydrated.

10. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not me. Having that sloshing around inside me makes me sick and slow. Better to keep hydrated all the time and then don't have to worry as much as it is in your system already. From there use a fuel belt.

If water sloshing around works nothing wrong with that if it doesn't cause adverse effects

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    xForce...if it is 95 degrees I am starting out slow. Within 8-10 minutes that sloshy feeling is gone as I have already sweated it out/it has moved through. After that, I pick up the pace.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Put myself through a challenging workout tonight to start picking up the pace over the next two weeks. I did a 20 minute hell workout (for me).

In 20 minutes I did 275 push-ups, 170 full sit-ups, and 150 crunches. I then moved on to some other stuff after my body slowed down a bit. I would like to get those numbers up to about 300 push-ups and 200 sit-ups in 20 minutes. I will try it again in a couple of days.

13. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish you lived closer so we could work out together Brett... it'd be fun as heck pushing each other.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Greg, that would be a ton of fun. I have been working out on my own for so long I will not know what to do when I get 30-35 partners here in the next two weeks.

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with X on this, I don't like the sloshy feeling it makes me slow and sluggish. If I start bad its hard to get my head into the run. I drink around 120 oz of water daily and was plenty hydrated going into the run, just needed more water to finish. I guess I need a bigger bottle.

16. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is different when it comes to training. When I train my stomach has to be almost completely empty or else I get sick. Been this way all my life. I know others can get by with eating somewhat large meals beforehand.

My next purchase is a fuel belt

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I am not getting that thick bloated feeling, just about 20-30 ounces of cold water pumped in about 1 hour beforehand. Other than that I hydrate continuously. In around 80 degree weather I can run 4-5 miles without drinking any water on the run. When it hits 90+ for some reason, I need about 6 ounces of water per 1-2 miles to stay hydrated. I have a 20 ounce water bottle for those runs.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Still battling back from the two right leg injuries. Slowly eased back into running after a week off. I have run 5 times in the past 10 days with longest being 2.2 miles. It has not been easy but I am getting better each day and my knee is slowly coming around. I am heading in to the orthopedic surgeon today to demand either a cortisone shot or oral cortisone for my knee. I need the pain to be gone by Friday so that I can get at least 2-3 hard demanding runs in before next Thursday. My running conditioning levels have dropped by at least 5% in the last 2 weeks because of this dang knee injury and I continue to slide. I have tried everything to get my heartrate up but nothing mimics running.

On the flip side I have gotten stronger on my sit-ups and push-ups. Hit 74 push-ups in a row last night and I am right around 60 sit-ups in a minute. I just need this knee pain gone.

Good luck to all of you guys/gals in your athletic endeavors this summer. Looking forward to hearing about your 77 mile hell runs and the like...hahaha.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope the leg/knee keeps healing up Brett, that's got to be frustrating. It's tough backing off, but sometimes you have to in order to let it heal.

As for me I didn't get much running in last week, but despite the 90+ temps this week I should be back on track. I have a trail race to get ready for in less than 2 weeks. By default I've kind of moved towards running only 3 days a week, but I am trying to make those runs on the longer side to compensate. I've had a lot of trouble finding time this summer. And because of that I have all but decided to forego the September marathon. I still am going to try and do a half, though. I'm at the point where I can pretty much run one of those with no notice at all.

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After years of dealing with numerous issues (reconstructed knee, arthritis in ankles and toes, and plantar fasciitis) I have decided to give cycling a try. I borrowed a decent road bike from a friend and went for my first ride last night. Just 5 miles to get used to the bike, shifting, and whatnot. It felt really good, and pain free (except my ass got a little sore). Possible the first pain free physical activity for me in a long time. I'll still torture myself by playing basketball once a week, and HIIT type workouts, but I think I might like this cycling thing.

Take care of that knee, Brett.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011