Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rockadj27

rockadj27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo,
    It was the Somerset Daily American 5K/10K. I did the 5K walk.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been working at it non-stop since I determined I have PF. Icing, resting, stretching, strengthening, doing those alphabet things, picking up marbles with my toes, stretching with a can under my foot....and on and on. I didn't run for four days and the pain subsided enough that I decided to run tonight. I told myself I would lower my intensity and distance by half. I ran 2.2 miles, the first part being slow and then my running addicted mind got the best of me and I opened up at a 7 min mile pace for 1.1 miles before I shut it down. I wasn't even winded and my body wanted more, yet my better sense took over and I shut it down. I am now icing.

I put pronation inserts in my work shoes and my running shoes. I ordered new running shoes for bigger guys. I am not a real big guy but a 210 lb guy running fast and hard is a little bigger than the average guy, so I am erring on the side of caution and getting motion control shoes. I know I am pronating. I have a boot like thing on order that is supposed to stretch your achiles tendon out overnight to help let the fascitis stretch and heal. I DO NOT have time for this injury right now in my life. I am actually very scared this could really hurt me in my attempts to achieve a goal of mine. I am taking it very seriously.

How is your training going Ryan?

3. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've managed to squeeze in a few 5ks lately. I usually run them with someone else just to participate. I use the word run very loosely.

My daughter finished her first 5k in which she didn't walk at all. Finished at 41 minutes and some change.

[​IMG]

Last weekend, I participated in a 5k along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Its an annual run I do with my SIL every year.

Representing...

[​IMG]

4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Scoot and you were cruising!

5. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    brett, glad to hear the PF is coming along, my bouts with it come and go but what really happens (i think) is that it tears a bit, scar tissue forms and then im fine for a while...

6. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    goooooooooooo scoot! love the fact that she didnt walk!!!!!!

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've really upped my training since completing the half. I've added interval, hills and tempo, which I alternate on Tues & Thurs, and went from 4 days a week running to 5 days. Last week for example was Mon-3 mile easy run, Tue-1 mile hill work & 20 min elliptical, Wed-3 mile race pace, Thur-2 mile tempo run & 20 min swim, Fri-30 min elliptical, Sat-10 mile long run, Sun-rest. Last week was the third week of the new training and I could tell a big difference on my long run. I was not nearly as tired at the end of it as before. I have a 2nd half marathon in Nov and my goal is to complete it in under 2 hrs, which would be a significant improvement from my first.

I do have a 10K road race this weekend and with the heat here, my goal is 60 min.

8. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still running MWF. I've noticed a huge increase in my leg strength and cardiovascular endurance. I'm running about 1000 meters straight before I have to walk a lap or two. Occasionally I'll flat out sprint a couple hundred meters just to help build my confidence and shock my legs, lungs and heart a bit.

I had a weird run yesterday. I had been feeling a little under the weather the last couple days but not bad enough to keep me down. I ran my 1000 meters and then walked a couple laps. I sprinted 200 meters and then felt like I was going to throw up among other things. I called it a day. If I still feel like this tomorrow, I'll take another rest day.

9. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to be finding reasons not to run lately and that needs to stop. After my half I purposely took it easy to heal up a little but just can't seem to get motivated again. While on vacation I ran a couple times but really struggled with the high elevation, I don't know how those people do it. Came back with a sinus infection and I'm just getting over that now. Today I WILL start my new training cycle.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Ran 2.5 miles tonight. I hadn't run in 4 days so I was a little grumpy today. I didn't realize how addicted I have become to running until I finished my run tonight. I felt so much better. Absolutely no heel pain during the run, but I have experienced some the last couple of days at work. I think I am progressing. I picked up some new shoes in the Saucony Stabil CS 2's. They felt pretty good and look to help me stay neutral when I run. I really hope this heel pain clears up by July.

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Finished a 10K road race yesterday morning in 60:30, I was really happy with my time. This race had a couple of really tough hills and the temps were in the low 80s and cloudy so it wasn't too hot out there.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Phillip, you are turning into a running machine!

13. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that if you are having trouble getting motivated to run go out for a walk and just see how you feel after a couple minutes. A lot of times the act of walking will help get your blood flowing and get those motivational chemicals in your body to elevate. It's saved me a few times from being a bum.

14. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap!

15. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've participated in another 5k with Scoot. She continues to improve her times and can easily get through them without walking now. Another PR at 38:34. Oh to be 7 years old again. She loves this stuff.

[​IMG]

I also got to participate in my first run with my son. They had a 1 mile kids run at one of the events. I really wasn't sure how this would go, he's 3, and was quite surprised when he finished in 12:24. He's sick of being told he can't do something his older sister can. I was running along side him cracking up the whole time. He was all business.

16. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I will reach a personal milestone of 20 total miles this week, assuming nothing happens to prevent or shorten my long run on Saturday. Next race is in August with my next half marathon in early Nov.

EDIT: I also just noticed that this was a personal best for a month with 78.5 miles.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  17. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to play football for my highschool and I was a star. After 6 concussions, a knee injury and then finally a brain bleed and jaw surgery my parents talked me out of it. I would run 15 to 20 miles a week after football, I'd lift and weight train and I was doing very good for starting JV strong safety, kicker, kick return, punt return, and wide reciever. I went to the V games and I would never get to play but I was a sure started for next year. I was 3rd best freshman and my coaches were surprised by my size at 14 yrs. Thats over now, forever but I play baseball for the school and multiple differnt leagues.

I try to ride my bike up to 30 miles a week. I just bought another dirt-bmx bike to jump on my track when I have time. I sold my other one before football started. Hopefully I can stay fit and active. But nothing more active then climbing the mountains of Morgan County SE OH. Chasing those monster bucks.

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt,
    That is so awesome Scoot & your son are both running and liking it! Great.

Phillip,
    Congrats on the milestones, it's always cool to keep reaching new levels.

As for me, still running, thinking of doing a trail race at the end of July and have to really decide if another marathon is in the cards for September before ramping up would be too late.

19. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I was pushing it too hard too fast. I had a couple of runs where I crashed really hard after and decided to take a week off. I'm going to get back at it next week, but it will probably be at a slower pace.

In the meantime, I've been working really hard at my food consumption and have seen some improvement there.

I haven't had a lot of sleep lately. I'm trying to get a website done for my pro shop and I procrastinated for a couple weeks. Looking forward to having a relaxed weekend and see if I can't recharge a little.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    GA--great job

BigStick...keep up the hard work

For me, my arch is healing up nicely. Still suffering pain every day but it is lessening. Ran 3.4 miles yesterday and did not have too much pain today.

Did a little test tonight before I started into my real workout. I had not tested in situps and pushups for months. I did 69 push ups in a row and also completed 57 situps in one minute. I am getting there!