Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GA....you swam 100M, front crawl, without stopping?

If so, you're in the VAST minority (IMO) of people who can do that.

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it was a front crawl and 100m in a lap pool. I had to stop at the end to turn around in the pool, but I wasn't stopping to catch my breath or anything. It was feet down, turn and then back the other way. I know I was dying when I was done with it though and it was after about 70 minutes worth of other cardio. I really enjoyed it.

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, man. I'm not fooling with you. That's great. Keep it up.

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jeff

I know 16 weeks ago, I would not have been able to do it.

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Well about 6 years ago I got up to 230 lbs, way to much for my frame. I was all of the sudden dealing with asthma which i never had in my life. I started dieting and exercising, mainly running and weight training. I was around 190lbs and very comfy at that weight. Last year I started and finished p90X and dropped down to 179 lbs. I felt like a spring but was not comfy at that weight. With my work schedule and family obligations i couldnt stick with P90X as a whole however I still took what i learned from it and mix it in with my workouts. Im now curretly at 200lbs and very comfortable there and love hitting the weights still. Im 45 years old as of last month.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ran the old 2 mile bit tonight but with a twist. I attacked all the hills and slow jogged the flats. I have some 300-400 yard inclines in the neighborhood so it was challenging and fun.

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have between 10-12 cord of firewood to fell, skid, buck up, split and stack before Ryan gets here. I will be in dang good shape, that and the hiking I am doing right now 3-5 times a week 20-25 lbs in the pack now 3-5 miles per hike..getting ready for elk season.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not training for anything other than to stay physically fit. I started lifting as a freshman in college (2003), and haven't stopped since. My routine as it stands now is:

My cardio days are a rotation of 3-4 mile runs or 6-10 mile mountain bike rides. If weather is bad, I will hit the rowing machine.

My weekly routine is roughly the following:

Monday - Cardio
    Tuesday - Lift (Shoulders/Back)
    Wednesday - Cardio
    Thursday - Lift (Chest/Tri's)
    Friday- Off
    Saturday - Legs/Cardio
    Sunday - Bi's/Tri's

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My fat ass went for a 1.8 mile run/walk tonight for the first time in a few years. Felt good. Did it in 23 minutes, which I felt was pretty good. My slight asthma almost kicked my rear when I got back.

10. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, back in the day when I cared about my run time...

I used to have a pretty dedicated program of interval training, it was based on your goal time, and you would run a set series of 220's, 440's, 880's and up - full on sprint for the sprint portion and active recovery of the same distance until the next interval spring.

I got down to the sub 6 min mile time for a 3 mile run (like a 17:45 3 mile). It was the best program for building your VO2 to get you in form for what you are doing (think you said 2 miles for your test?).

There are a bunch of apps - search interval plan or such and you will find them to get your sprint times.

Sadly now I run in the 7 min range, and just had my worst PFT in 21 years and ran a 25:40. It was like 88,degrees at 0630 and my give a sh!t was just not there, that an an arthritic knee on one side and patellar tendinitis on the other I don't run all that much anymore.. That and as a almost 43 year old LtCol don't give a crap (as much) anymore.

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sean. I need to run 1.5 miles for what I am doing. I ramped my HR up hard last night for 40-60 seconds, then eased it back down for a couple of minutes, then repeated the cycle. I feel my HR is recovering a lot better than even 2 weeks ago. If you could, please let me know what a good interval training would be to run a good 1.5 mile time in 2 months or so. I have never been a distance runner. Thanks.

25 minutes for 3 miles at age 43, and all that you have been through is awesome. You should not feel bad about that at all. Heck, I bet my single mile time might be around 7 1/2 -8min, lol.

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Speed work, at your current run (/wk) volume.....is a recipe for injury.

Just be careful.

13. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with what GMMAT is say as a caveat to my advise, I had/have a pretty significant base of having PT'd for just about every weekday for the last 20+ years.

http://www.pcvrc.com/training/running_calculators/interval_calculator.htm

This is one that demonstrates what I am referring to...

What is a good time for your test? I would guess in the 11 min range?

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just had to share this one.....since we have this thread.

My first 13.1mi. run - completed a few minutes ago.

Avg. HR 140.

Here's the reason we run slow, Brett.....IF I'd gone all-out on this, I'd be laid up for at least a day (probably more, at my age). As it is (with me not pushing it), I'll still get in my swim, today......a swim in the AM and 6 more mi, running, tomorrow.

And....I feel great.

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys. The cut-off for the test at 1.5 miles is only 15 min. I want to run around 12-13 minutes. I don't need or want to peak at all. I just want a strong cardio/leg strength base here in the next 2 months or so. The only thing I can tell you guys is that for months I walked up and down hills scouting and prior to me starting to run about 3 weeks ago, I walked for a month with a 25 pound weight in my backpack, up and down hills for 45-60 minutes. It served me well as my legs were hardened up, but my lungs have been the limiting factor thus far.

I had my biggest volume week in years this past week......7 miles! LOL.

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I took your advice and used it in other areas of my training. I did 4 sets of push-ups last night instead of 2 sets to failure. I worked for 90% failure, rested 45 seconds, then repeated. I need volume in all areas of my training. I am down at the beach right now and will be swimming and running FLAT grounds here for a change. I am excited to run today.

Congrats on the 13.1 mile run! That is fantastic.

17. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I'm telling you, Brett....is what I had to learn in the last few months. I was always one to try to "out-do" my last run/bike/whatever.....

Then, I got some sage advice from someone (well....a few VERY accomplished athletes). Run slower - to run faster. Like I told you before, this works - because it'll allow you to run MORE (less recovery time). But, it'll take some trial/error on your part. I would still stay away from speed work, if I were you (I'm at 34mi./wk, right now...and I do ONE run/wk at race pace....or, about 20% of my volume at that pace). I do NO sprinting (again, at MY volume). The barometer will be.......can you run hard today...and still be OK to do your run, tomorrow. If you can do that, you're not running too hard.

The swimming? If you're just going for fitness (and not endurance), GIVE IT HELL! It's low-impact, and the risk of injury is almost nil. Swim as hard/fast as you can.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I am hearing you Jeff. I don't think I will ever do more than about 15 miles a week, max. I am running a fine line between exercise/conditioning goals and my joint health. I do not want to risk my knees flaring up with too much volume. I tore em up pretty good years ago and I do not want push the limit with something(long distance running) that is not going to be part of my overall fitness plans/goals in years to come. My ongoing weight loss should help with the increased stress I am putting my body through these days.

But I will take your advice and slow it down to 2 slower jogs per week (3-4 miles at a slow pace), and one average jog per week(2 miles at an average pace) until I get real comfortable with the stress. I am thinking I am only 2-3 weeks off that right now.

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me....right now I do between 16-23 miles per week on the treadmill or eliptical .... I am down 33lbs and my purpose is to lose weight and just be healthy....

20. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That's awesome T.