Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did a Warrior Dash in March. Great fun.

And my buddy coordinates the ToughMudder in Austin and has been bugging me about doing it, so maybe next year. It's a bit longer than the Warrior Dash.

I've been wanting to get a team together for Primal Quest for several years now. Anybody want to join my team? We will need one female team member...and $11k for the entry fee...

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend that ran the one in GA a few months ago and he said it kicked his tail. He is in super good shape and a very good runner.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, best of luck to you! That is awesome that you worked yourself into that great of shape. Quite impressive.

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Well not much to report here,,still lifting in a real Gym now 5 days a week. Making progress with Dips right now, was doing them for Triceps and chest without being weighted but have progressed to 4 sets of 10 reps with a 25 pound plate strapped on :) Im tickling 400 lbs on the Dead lift on the 4th set. Have switched to dumbbells for benching for awhile and now on my 4th set squeezing out 6 reps with the 90 pounders.
    Now if I could just get about 3 inches of the ole waist line with out taking muscle with it :(

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo good luck this weekend! Those goals are awesome and I hope you reach them!

I'm a week and a half from my first ever half marathon (on a trail) and my goal is 10:00 min/miles. I ran into a snag on my long run this past Saturday when I rolled my ankle on a trail. I had a light run yesterday though and all seemed fine. Good work everyone, keep it up!

6. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!
    It's down to waiting for the gun to go off now. It can't get here fast enough.

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Blood, I am impressed! I read a good article the other day that might benefit you. The article basically said it is a good idea to lift weights first, then do cardio as an enhanced method of fat burning. The hard weightlifting taps into your fat reserves at a much higher rate than the cardio due to the anaerobic quality of the exercise. So therefore it is better to expend the better part of your energy lifting and burning fat, then transitioning into the cardio to burn the carbs while your body continues to burn fat from the lifting.

So in a nutshell, maybe hold off on doing those terrible final sets on all your lifts so that you can save up some energy to complete 20-30 minutes of light cardio after your lifting session. That would probably put you over the edge and help you burn off that fat you are looking to rid yourself of these days. Good luck

Good luck Rybo.

Just had a good running session (for me). After a good warm-up, knocked out 2.5 miles in 18.5 minutes. That puts me at right around a 7.5 minute mile over those 2.5 miles. Again, for me that is pretty darn good. I am getting there, but not yet.

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, thank you for the info, I may have to check into that. I do spend alot of energy when lifting, enough that my hair is soaked and sweat in the eyes. I try and give it 110% when doing it. IMO if im not going to the very last rep that I can squeeze out then im not trying enough. Its amazing how things have changed for me since Im going where equipment is unlimited and not doing it at home where I was limited. Your all doing great things for yourselves, keep it up! ;)

9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I finished the marathon. Not in the time I expected, but after the hell I endured JUST to finish, the time really doesn't matter to me now.
    I'm not sure what else to say other than it just wasn't my day, but like I said, I pushed forward & did what I had to do just to be able to cross that line.
    I thought I was more than prepeared, but maybe it was just marathon karma knocking me down a few pegs for thinking that even on a bad day, I'd finish with ease. I could not have been more wrong.
    Official time 4:01:15, and damn proud just to have a time to post.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, you HAVE my respect man. You pushed the limit and had the courage to take on a marathon. Eat and drink well to recover.

I have been slowly been building at push-ups. I really do not like doing them at all and find them boring. Before tonight I had not tested my one set push-up max in three months. I warmed up a tad and then hit off with 70 push-ups in a row! I was just hoping for 60. I bet in two months I can do 80-90 in a row.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  11. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn strong time, rybo :hail:

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well done man!

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, without hopefully inducing PTSD, please expalin to us the pain invovled the day after the marathon. :)

14. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    just started p-90x this morning, pretty good stuff. Give me a week or so and I'll be back in the rhythm of things...

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hurt. Legs.

Stairs. Evil.

16. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, I'm a big guy, just under 6'6" and built wide. I've always been big, but it was only in the last couple years that I've struggled to keep weight off.

I exited high school at 270 lbs of solid weight. When I competed in sports in college I weighed in at 340 lbs and could have done to lost about 20 pounds. Since January of this year, I've teetered around the 360-370 mark. Unfortunately, not long after I stopped playing college sports I ran into some medical issues and it kept me off my feet a lot and I lost a ton of muscle mass.

Because of the weight issue, and the fitness level I never went into the woods last year with my bow. I knew I weighed more than what my stand and safety restraint were rated for and I just couldn't find the motivation to get out there.

At the end of the season, I was so down about missing bowhunting that I vowed to do whatever I could this year to make it back into the woods. In January, I went to a gym and hired a trainer. They did a fitness test which included strength, cardiovascular response and used calipers to find out my bmi. The good news was at the time I was still about 260 lbs of solid weight and strong as an ox, the bad news was I had to lose about 70-100 lbs to be healthy and my cardiovascular was in the toilet. I worked with a trainer for about three months and while I didn't see any significant weight loss, I felt better and had gotten over some of the issues of getting back into training.

Then I tore some cartilage in my knee playing racquetball one day. It took me out of commission from personal training and most any kind of physical activity for about a month. About that time, I went on a vacation my buddy and I had planned with our lady folk. We spent the better part of three days walking, and walking and walking. I was so sore at the end of those days that it was a couple minute ordeal to finally bend over far enough to touch my toes. However, I woke up every morning with a feeling that I hadn't felt in a while. A hunger to do more.

We got back from vacation last week Sunday and I gave myself a couple days of rest. Then Wednesday of last week, I started what I hope will get me back on track for the fall. I started running again. Now, I haven't run for about 5 years and even then I hadn't run a mile straight in about 8 years. I wasn't even able to run a full lap last week. In addition to the running, I decided to start incorporating my brand of weight lifting back into the routine.

Just today I ran a half mile straight and then alternated 100 yard run/100 yard walk till I had accumulated a mile of jogging in whole and a little over two miles of distance in all. That was in addition to an upper body lifting session right before.

I know I still have a long way to go, but it was a big boost when I scouted some woods this weekend and even just the four days of running from last week made such an impact that I'm sure this will be the strategy I need to get back in fighting shape. I'm lucky too that a good portion of the people I work with run/bike/swim and do marathons that they help keep me in check and motivated. Even if I just get under 350 before this season, I will consider it a victory and a milestone on my way to getting sub-300 again.

17. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck BigStick, if I may offer one piece of advice, don't push it with the running. Take it slow and build up. Too much too fast will cause more injury. I made the mistake when I started back running in thinking I could do more than I actually could and It lead to a lower leg issue that set me back a couple of months....again good luck man!

18. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm definitely a gym rat but by training has changed from power lifting to getting ready to tackle MT Kilimanjaro in June! I'm pretty pumped but I must say having to wear a 45 lb pack on the stair climber at the gym for an hour isn't much fun...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

19. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    stick, hang in there! i feel you pain. just gotta stay focused and do a little bit each day. we didnt get this big (me 312 at my biggest) overnight. and we arent gonna get in shape in a week. give it a month and then pop back on the scale and see how well you've done! very inspiring post my friend!

20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Should be an amazing trip. Some friends of mine went recently, and they both suffered from AMS. The husband actually had fluid surround his lungs, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks after the summit.

But hey...they got the summit t-shirts!