Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, thank you for the suggestion. My kids have running club after school tomorrow so I will go over to the school and run on the track while I wait for them to finish. That workout should be hard, but that is good!

Did 250 push-ups in exactly 30 minutes tonight. I think 500 in 60 minutes can be had within 6 weeks or so. I am going to do it.

2. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I tried out some intervals this morning and I am embarassed to say I came home hurting. The temps hit 75 by the time I ran and my body was not acclimated. I jogged for a mile, then did up tempo intervals of 600 meters, 300 meters, 300 meters, and then about 250 meters before I was really hurting. So I guess I did about 1400-1500 meters of hard running. I would like to double that workload within 2 months. I jogged in between the up tempo runs but by the time I hit the 2.5 mile mark I was overheating. I jogged home making my run a bit over 3 miles and was burning hot. I am glad I am getting out into this heat now so my body can adjust before it gets really hot.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should not be embarrassed. Interval sprints should kick your ass, especially if you are just starting.

For my interval sprints, I jog to the local HS (2 miles), sprint 6-8 800m at 3:00, with a 400m cool down jog between each sprint, then I jog the 2 miles back home. Those 2 miles back home usually suck.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker, I jogged .75 miles home and limped into my house. I feel pretty good now, which is about 30 min post exercise. Probably going to hit the heavy bag tonight. Hooker, your running is darn impressive man. Also, Rybo friggin running 22 miles..goodness!

5. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got something for those of you that need to get off a stick point...

Tabata Intervals - they sound easy, but holy batcrap they are brutal.

20 sec - full effort, 10 sec rest

repeat for 4 mins

do four sets

If you are not huffing and sweating like a stuck pig, you are either gaffing or superman/woman.

I am using them to drop weight since the Marine Corps has decided that I am a fat body...seems to be working.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Sean, I am heading out to run intervals in a tornado warning right now! My goal is to job a mile, stretch a tad, then run 8-300 meter intervals with 2 minutes rest between. See you guys in a bit, I am either going to be done by the workout or the weather.

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    What a horribly painful workout. Reminds me of why most people don't workout how I did this morning. By the time I was on my 3rd 300 meter sprint my heartrate was soaring to well over 180bpm. By the time I hit my 6th 300 I was really not feeling well. I ran the last two 300's just to meet my goal but I bet they were only at an 8 minute mile pace as I was shutting down.

I bet I "sprinted" about a mile of intervals before I was really hurting. That leads me to believe I only have about one mile of good upper level running speed right now. That is about the same distance I sprinted the other day before I shut down. I have to get that "sprinting" endurance up to 1.5-2 miles.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I give you a lot of credit VS, doing a workout like that and still continuing to want to work at it.

I've done my share of interval/sprint training in college and I don't under any circumstance see the need for me to train that hard again. My 22 miles was cake compared to some of the killer interval sprint workouts I did back in the day.

On a side note, my race is 16 days away...all my runs from here on out are pretty easy, I'm just trying to control my excitement until it gets here.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love tapering. It feels so good after those brutal long weeks.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Rybo. I have an ulterior motive, so that is why I am busting my rear end. I trained like a madman for various sports up until I was 30 years old just for fun, but these days I have a potential new job I am getting ready for this summer. I will be 37 in December so I will have to compete with guys in their mid-20's, and will also need a solid base so that I can ward off injuries.

I am finally getting into some really good shape. I did 320 push-ups tonight in 30 minutes. I just have to keep on pushing hard.

Rybo, best of luck in your marathon. Your dedication to your running is inspiring. Hooker, best of luck to whatever you are tapering to these days. Your "tapering" workouts are probably like 30-40 miles a week. hahaha

11. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I lived! I did my first half marathon yesterday, all and all it went pretty well. As I said before I had been fighting some nagging aches and pains and had been told to forego the long runs and stick to my maintenence runs. As I pretty much expected I hit the wall around mile 11 and struggled in from there but beat my goal time. Other than being a little sore I feel good, I'm already thinking about what I'll do different in my training for the next one. 2:09.42 on this one, maybe next time I can slip under 2:00.

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job drenman! Way to finish.
    I’m curious as to whose advice it was for to skip the long runs of the training? Everything I’ve read emphasized “don’t cheat the long runs”.
    Congrats again on the finish!

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats drenman!

I still have 2 more training Saturdays before my first half marathon. I'm now tapering down my training.

I'm with Rybo though, everything I've read has said don't cheat the long runs.

14. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It was a friend of mine that is a hardcore endurance race guy. He told me to try to take off a long run and see if that helped so I did, the next week I felt good so I did my long run and was miserable the next week. I talked with him again and he told me if I wasn't running for time then to just do my maintenence and pick a pace that I felt comfortable with and don't push it. With it being my first race I took that advise and it worked out fine. Obviously my time wasn't fast but I'm happy to get one under my belt.

15. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Currently down 17# from January 2nd.

16. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    www.toughmudder.com
    I'm thinking about doing the one in WI in July......has anyone ever done this before?!

17. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have not done a mud run, but I might this summer. Everyone I know that has, loved it. My wife has done a few.

18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of getting "tasered" as I finish a 10+ mile obstacle course.:D

On a side note and to keep this post on topic, I'm back out running outside again (tired of the treadmill/elliptical all winter). Ran 3K the other day in just over 7:00/mile pace. Pretty happy with that.

19. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I have heard that the "toughmudder" is more difficult than your typical mud run, but regardless, I've heard they are all pretty tough, but a lot of fun!

20. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am just days away from the marathon and quite anxious to get to it.
    I've been obsessing over what kind of pace to attempt. As my training has progressed I really started thinking I could go as low as an 8:00 mile, but I think i am going to error on the conservative side & start with the 8:24 pace group. At 5 miles I'll know if it's gonna be a good day or not & decide if I want to push that down to 8:12-8:15 or stay where I am. I'll keep reassessing thru out the race & see how I feel. Hopefully at mile 22 I'll have enough in the tank to open 'er up a little & finish strong.